The Ferrannia Folks expect to be in continuos production in Fall 2018

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by cmacd123, Jul 13, 2018.

1. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The latest update just went live:

Dead Link Removed

2. swchris

swchris Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The link doesn't work for me...

regards,
    chris

3. Element 6

Element 6 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is a great update. Thanks!

4. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Weird, but Photrio is flagging it so you have to click it twice - at least that's what happened on my end. You can copy and paste into a new tab without issue.

5. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Sorry, I had installed a new link checking system and it got carried away. It should be fine now.

6. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the update!
    Looking forward to seeing the first E6 rolls come out of the LRF!

7. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would buy 220 over 120, if available - more shots per roll change.

8. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my opinion it would make most sense to focus on 35mm and 120. If anything were added to the mix then possibly 4x5. I think those three formats pretty much encompass the future of film, given the drastic reduction in the overall film market. Other formats would be nice to have, but it's hard for me (from my non-expert perspective) to see much of a future in them.

9. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I'll believe it when it happens !

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd help if I can and they let me.

11. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    why did the other thread get closed?

12. OP
    OP
    cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    there was much shouting and name calling. the moderators keep deleting posts, and finally decided to close it.

(I miss it, it had to be the most wide reaching discussion of the entire art and science of Photographic Manufacturing since Simon Galley left Ilford.)

I am still waiting for a progress report from our pal David Bias mind you. he did say he would start a new thread when there was substantive progress.

13. wlodekmj

wlodekmj Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    As the shouting etc was deleted, others did not know what was happening, and it was closed because of this with no final message, though the moderator did answer to that effect in private messages. I am sure a lot of other people miss it too - do we want to create a new thread now, separate from the one we hope Dave Bias will start later? Or use this thread to continue the discussion - but not the trolling.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very much this. I still have some Provia 400X frozen. Love that film!

Those who say "you can push 100 to 400" are missing the point. Native 400 will get better results than pushed two stops 100, and at need you can also push the 400 to 1600 with usable results.

16. DaveTheWalker

DaveTheWalker Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I miss the other thread, too. Such a treasure-trove of interesting information, and a very vibrant conversation. Occasionally it would drift into "shouting" and rudeness, but it was largely self-policed and always returned to topic eventually.

17. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No mention of Super8! While Kodak has just released Ektachrome100d, I feel that there still is room for another color reversal film since all color reversal films have different characteristics.

18. OP
    OP
    cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak of course has the inside track in making super 8 cartridges. 16mm and regular 8 only need the appropriate spools and cans, for a factory that has the working perforating equipment. Super 8 besides needing the cartridges also may need a lubrication coating on the back of the film to get through the sharp bends.

19. Harry Callahan

Harry Callahan Member

Shooter:
    Analog
    I think the last thing the old thread was about was somebody having found older literature mentioning that a recommended developer for P30 was a compensating developer.

20. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tas I recall, Ferrannia’s first announcements were about producing a reversal Super8 film. As for 16 mm, except for a 400 ft roll of color shot in the 1980s, I shoot only BW.
    Availability of cassettes is not a problem. At present, several dealers supply Super8;with various film loads, including color reversal. The Russians even made reloadable Super8 cassettes. Problem is that these are all still E6 films that can put undue stress on camera mechanisms.
    All move films are lubricated, not just Super8.
    For me, BW films in 8 mm just seem to lack something, but are very satisfactory in color reversal. That’s just a question of taste.
    Nonerhele, every color reversal film has its own personality, so a new one is always welcome for still photography. Bought a couple rolls of Ektachrome...will I prefer it to Provira? Don’t know.

21. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To be true, I don’t miss that old thread at all. Mostly every time I got an alert about a new post there, it was about something entirely different than news from Ferrania.

I don’t see a point in having a thread to speculate about what Ferrania is going to tell us in their next update. I’ll just wait for them to post it, just like @cmacd123.

I also point out to @JBrunner ’s advice: don’t feed the trolls.

22. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm.

December 2018 is pretty late in the fall.

Oh well. No sense in spoiling the party with anything like a true deadline.

23. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They updated their site a few months go. P30 is now due, early in 2019.

Jim B.

24. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim. I'm really not all that worried about it.

The Ferrania deadlines have been a bit amorphous right from the beginning. When I first backed the project I stayed on top of things but ever since color slide film morphed into black and white film, and even those deadlines became a tad hard to really pin down, I have become a bit more laid back about all this.

I was a bit confused about the change from slide film to black and white since I thought we already had more than enough choices on the black and white film front. It was always color slide film that I felt was losing ground. Besides, I remember the old Ferrania slide film and I did like the colors. Now I guess they need to do a bit more research so I am a little afraid I may not care for the newly researched colors once they finally do appear.

No worries. I knew there were no guarantees from the start. I really do wish them well but I willed my Ferrania Kickstarter reward to my grandson. It looks as if it will probably take that long for that film to appear. :smile:

25. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, makes sense, i also thought he said we would be getting more regular kickstarter updates at one point, but has been a while since the last one.
    Seems to be that circumstances change and things move so fast that the updates are out of date by the time its ready to be published.

26. OP
    OP
    cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    well Harry, I did use a used book site to get a copy of the 1965 Edition of "Ferrannia Products for Photography and Narrow Guage Cinematography" from a used book store in the USA. Inside was a note from 3M/Ferrania in NYC stating that the recipient in St Louis MS had visited a booth at the IPEX show. The letter also states that the products were not being sold in teh US at the time. It is signed Francesco C. Griccioli, U.S. Representative.

The Book has data sheets for P30 Both as 35mm Film and as Roll Film, and both refer to a chart showing development times and temperatures as well as Spectrograms. I would be happy to post a scan of that chart, But since the copyright is no doubt held by Ferrania, I will resist unless Someone from the company gives me permission.

The chart shows a suggested development time of 8-10 Minutes @ 20C in R-18/a Developer, which the other thread confirmed is basically equivalent to D76 or ID 11. it also shows a time of 7-9 Minutes in "Delofin". (also at 20C)

Delofin is described as a compensating developer which combines maximum film speed with fine grain. in the P30 charts the delofin curve for Gamma vs Time is straighter and slightly lower Gamma for P30 for any given development time. that is also the case for P24. Devofin shows higher Gamma for P27, P33, and I72. (in all cases comparing to r-18/a)

P36 (ASA 320) is listed only in Roll Film is shown with a different developer recommended (R-10) and so their is not a curve for R-18/a to compare with.

If and How delofin would work with the films made 50 years later would of course have to be studied. Some of the compensating developers of far ago times tend to cause staining on Modern films.

Hopefully Mr. Bias will know something about this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.