The Best QTR Digital Negative System Yet

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by Richard Boutwell, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I really dove into making QTR digital negatives over the past two years and built a whole new system from the ground up. For now, I this new system is about as good as it is going to get for people using custom ink sets with 4 or more shades of gray ink. I have been tested it with 4-7 shades over the past few months and even used it to print the negatives for a recent show. I'll be showing these at APIS in a few weeks if any one here is going.

In short, the new system has its own quad curve partitioning and linearization system that does not rely on any of the standard QTR curve creation or linearization tools. You enter measurements from the ink calibration images into the profiler and it does all the partitioning for you and spits out a new .quad file. Linearization is done with either a 21, 51, or 128 step target and the built in formulas.

Here is a bit of a punchy blog post I wrote after an all-nighter if you want more detail about how it works.

https://www.bwmastery.com/blog/2017/the-best-quadtone-rip-digital-negative-system-period

2. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regardless of how well it works, it seems like an advertisement to me. Why not join as an advertiser?

3. OP
    OP
    Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There used to be an advertiser membership level under the old system but I can't seem to find that here.

I considered this thread as just an notice about some helpful new tools rather than a full blown advertisement.

This forum is where people go who are interested in new developments in digital negative methods. They are not going out and searching for banner ads about qtr or digital negatives. In this case an ad is the least useful way of informing interested people in something that can help them.

4. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Advertisement or not, I've used Richard's QCDN system for a few months now and I'm extremely pleased with the results. Over the years, I used other systems and/or methods to generate digital negs, but this system is intuitive and easy to use/understand. Plus, Richard is a very helpful guy! I highly recommend QCDN!!