TETENAL ULTRAFIN questions.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by vic vic, Mar 2, 2009.

1. vic vic

vic vic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi...
    i would like to hear some info from the users familiar with this developer - ULTRAFIN liquid (not the "plus").
    how it is compared to D-76 / ID-11 , in terms of characteristics (like tonality and acutance) and quality of the negative (like grain and sharpness) ? does it have some similarities with rodinal for example ? etc ...

im not keen about testing developers now, but want a liquid one that can "replace" the D-76. main film - neopan 400 (120). does it worth the effort trying/testing this developer.

please, your observations ...
    thanks, vic

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Victor,

I have developed about 100 rolls of Delta 100 and 400 in Tetenal Ultrafin using a Jobo processor. Ultrafin can produce impressively fine grain, sharpness, and tonality, but I achieved better results using a lower processing temperature (20ºC rather than 22ºC). 7 minutes @ 20ºC, 75 r.p.m for Delta 100. Ultrafin 1+10 dilution. However, I'm now experimenting with Pyrocat-HD.

Tom.

3. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Victor, I loved using Tetenal Ultrafin with APX100 when that film was available. I used the 1:31 dilution for almost everything and it can certainly deliver good crisp negs with minimal grain. It does have smaller grain than rodinal, but does have the same issue as Rodinal of blocking up highlights if you do not control it carefully with exposure, and dev dilution. I processed everything at 20 deg C For APX100, HP5+ and Delta 100 using a dulition of 1:31, I found that I could get great results at 12 minutes. Agitate for the first minute, then 2 agitations every 30 seconds after that.

A.

4. OP
    OP
    vic vic

vic vic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks tom and andrew
    sounds it worth the try.

tom, whats the issue with the temperature ? doesnt it perform well at non-20C ? or just tricky to calculate (like: 10% against 1C).

adrew, apx100 used to be my fave film too, and reently, i feel just the same about neopan400 (relativly new film to me).

will buy a bottle and see how it goes.

found a table of dev-times for it + some really cool calculator, i think it was linked from apug, so here it is again: http://www.phototec.de/infomag_erechner.php
    dont know about tetenal developer yet but as for d-76 and rodinal it seems quite accurate as point of reference.

if any experience please guide me :
    neopan 400 @ 400 ; ultrafin 1+10 ; 1min agitation intervals ; = 13 min
    how it should be for 1+20 ???

also, any guidance how to develop neopan acros 100 in this developer ? also, preferably 1+20 with 1min agitation to start with ?

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Tetenal Ultrafin does respond in an unpredictable manor to temperature change it is possible that I was over-developing the film at the higher temperature. However, in his book 'Controls in Black and White Photography' Richard J. Henry comments that various film and developer / process combinations respond to temperature change in terms of altering image quality (such as increased grain at higher temperatures) to varying extents.

Tom.

6. OP
    OP
    vic vic

vic vic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    tom thanks.
    yes, i have also observed it. d76 is getting too harsh at high temperatures even if the density looks about the same (say, at +24C, and in israel it is very common in summer period), or rodinal that is problematic and a bit dull in low temps (say, -17) ...

thanks for this temperature remark ...

7. OP
    OP
    vic vic

vic vic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    first rolls (neopan 400) developed in ULTRAFIN. first impression from seeing the negatives on lighttable (no prints yet) is that this developer is fantastic. the texture of the negatives looks great (the grain appearance, fine, tight), crisp with sharpness and acutance, very good tonality, though now i have a reference how to fine-tune my developing time/agitation/dilution.

about the highlights that andrew mentioned:
    made a dilution of 1+13 (40+500) for 15min and 1min agitation. the negatives are just a bit more dense than the way i prefer (for diffused enlarging, and split grade, so i do like a nice and gentle density in negatives). in some case (contrasty light) there is the mentioned highlight issue though looks like its gonna be easily manageable while printing (split-tech etc). the highlight issue is nothing beyond what i would expect from d-76 especially stock. so next time, i will dilute the ultrafin a bit more. looks very promising, so it will reduce the little excessive density i got this time and i guess it will manage the highlights density push better as well.

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Victor,

You can dilute your developer and develop for longer, but that may affect the lower range of your negatives. You can agitate less to bring your highlight values down without changing time / dilution.
    You may have to increase the time a little bit when going to every 2 minute agitation, or every 3 minute.

I'm sure you know this already... :smile: But I'll mention it anyway.

- Thomas