Tank built for 2 but only developing 1..?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dwdmguy, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good day you good looking peeps...
    So, I have a plastic tank for two reels, but I want to use only for one, I'll plan on using the film reel plus the empty one, and a bit over the amount that I need to cover.

Any problem with that?
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use one reel, often in a tank taht takes 2 or 3 reels, but I have a lock-ring for my Paterson tanks that stops the spiral shifting during agitation. I just use my normal volume per film which I round up for 35mm to 300ml (from 270ml) and just 500ml per 120 film.

Ian

3. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Obviously make sure you put the reel with film on it at the bottom of the tank ...

4. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't even need to use the extra empty reel. A rubber band wrapped around the center core above the loaded reel will prevent it from creeping up. Inverting the tank for agitation is also unnecessary. Using the twirling stick works just as well, maybe better.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank, I have some early dev tanks that can only be agitated using the swirling stick :D

But your comment about the rubber band is valid, only the Multi tanks have a lock ring and they both do the same job stopping the spiral moving up the column and out of the dev.

Ian

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, I have some of those really old tanks too. I don't use them. They were always a pain to load. The Paterson and compatible reels are a dream by comparison. I hear what you're saying about the clips. I have them, but over the years, they've either stretched a bit or have worn, and no longer grip as tightly as they once did. Some of my reels don't grip the center core tightly enough either, making twirling stick agitation ineffective. The rubber bands solved both problems. Wrap it tightly around the core and push it down over the topmost reel as far as she'll go. It won't move after that.