Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

Willie Jan

Shooter
4x5 Format
Hi,

i want to buy a (modern) lens for my technika iii.
I read that the symmar-s 150 5.6 is a very sharp lens, and that the rodenstock sironar-n 150 5.6 is also.

Is there a large difference between these two brand lenses in quality?

thanks for your help

John C Murphy

Shooter
Large Format
I have the 150mm Schneider Symmar-S and yes it is a sharp lens, though I think the newer versions (the Apo Symmars) are even sharper without being much more expensive. The only drawbacks of this lens would be the aperture level tends to get knocked while cocking the shutter (there are no detents to prevent it from moving). Also, my lens has "Schneideritis", that is, flaking of the black paint inside the lens. Other than that, it is a very good lens.
The interesting thing about this lens is that I find I use it a whole lot more than I would expect for landscape shots. I say it is unexpected because the traditional teaching is that the "normal" focal length is not ideal for landscapes, but that has not been my experience. The 150mm in 4x5 produces some very nice images for me.

Ole

Shooter
Large Format
I have run a comparison test of all my "normal" lenses, and it is impossible to tell without referring to the notes which negative comes from which lens - except for those I can identify from the perspective.

There were some differences visible at f:5.6 or larger (where available), none at all from f:16.

None of my lenses are "modern", though. The lineup was
Carl Zeiss Planar 135mm f:3.5
Voigtländer Heliar 150mm f:4.5
Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 150mm f:4.5
Schneider Symmar 150mm f:5.6
Schneider Xenar Type D 15cm f:3.5
Schneider Angulon 165mm f:6.8
Schneider Xenar 18cm f:4.5

The Heliar and the 18cm Xenar are uncoated, the rest single-coated. Even that doesn't make much difference under controlled conditions.

Peter Schrager

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Apo-Sironar S

If you want to go top dog I would get the Apo-Sironar-S. If you go to David Katchel's site or to Kerry Thalman's site you will see heaps of praise for this lens.
For the few extra dollars you get the best out there. Then you don't have to worry about it ever again. I use an old Ektar 152mm lens that is a great performer in this focal length. Definately has it's own look; but am seriously considering to get the Rodenstock.
Regards, Peter

John McCallum

Shooter
Multi Format
peters said:
If you want to go top dog I would get the Apo-Sironar-S. If you go to David Katchel's site or to Kerry Thalman's site you will see heaps of praise for this lens.
For the few extra dollars you get the best out there. Then you don't have to worry about it ever again. I use an old Ektar 152mm lens that is a great performer in this focal length. Definately has it's own look; but am seriously considering to get the Rodenstock.
Regards, Peter
I echo Peter's comments. I have been using the Sironar-S as much as all my others put together, and have never found a fault. It really is outstanding. For me, this was worth the extra cost.
Best, John.

ligero

Shooter
Large Format
I agree with 'peters'. Don't make a move until you read Kerry Thalmans webppage Re 150mm!

Peter Schrager

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
150mm lens

Ok-if you want another idea I have and still use a Kodak 152mm Ektar that is a superp lens. Never had another 150 lens and never cared to. You can find one of these for relatively cheap money. Make sure it is clean and the shutter works well. I've used mine for over 30 years now without a hitch. (just yesterday!)Covers 4x5 very well. One day if I ever have the money I'd buy the Sironar-S but that day isn't here yet.
Regards, Peter

Danpv

Shooter
4x5 Format
Based on rave reviews from Terry and others, I settled on the 150mm/f5.6 Rodenstock APO Sironar S as my normal lens. Although I have not done any direct comparisons with others in its class, to my eyes it produces extremely sharp images. In addition, its small compact size makes it an ideal choice for backpacking.

Peter Schrager

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Ektar

Willie-don't know where your information is from but the Ektar has never ever run out of tilt swing, etc. for me. Of course I don't do EXTREME Schleimflug movements-maybe you do.
Regards, Peter

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom