SX-70 film door stuck?

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by andreiabc, Sep 22, 2017.

1. andreiabc

andreiabc Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    So I just got an SX-70. I didn't know if the seller sent to me an empty cartridge, so I opened the film door to see it. I took it off and inserted it again... The cartridge is old and it seems that it doesn't have enough battery by the slow noises that the camera made. Now I think the mirror is stuck (I only can see half of the "picture" through the viewfinder), the film is stuck in the rollers, and the problem is that I can't open the film door.

What should I do? [​IMG]

2. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can you pull the film the rest of the way out through the rollers. I had the same problem with the mirror getting stuck using a half dead battery. If you can get a fresh battery in there it should fix that.

3. OP
    OP
    andreiabc

andreiabc Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Thanks! I was thinking about doing that, and I'll try it! With a tweezer I should be able to do it :smile:
    I was just afraid that i'll be forcing the mechanism, but I guess it's the only way to take that off.

After you pulled out the rest of the film, you were able to open the film door without problems?

4. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome.

When the film is stuck between the rollers, you have no other choice: you must pull it out. Do it firmly and slowly. When the sheet of film is out, there should be no problem releasing the door.

These cameras are actually well made. A fresh pack of Polaroid/Impossible film should work.

5. OP
    OP
    andreiabc

andreiabc Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Thank you! :smile:

I'm having some trouble trying to pull the film out. As you can see, it is only a few mm outside. Do you have any other suggestions if I can't pull it off?
    KakaoTalk_2017-09-23-17-34-05_Photo_64.jpeg

6. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can you somehow push it back through the other way without damaging the rollers? Maybe use a piece of cardboard to push on it.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Releasing the door lock and swinging open the door by force should be the solution. After swinging open just a little bit the roller gear will disengage thus giving the opportunity for the film retracting from the rollers when the retaining force on the film due to kinking in its cassette gets too strong.

I do not see another way to that aside of disassembling the camera.

8. OP
    OP
    andreiabc

andreiabc Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Thank you! I was able to do it by forcing the door a little bit!

With a new film cartridge, the camera ejected the darkslide without any problem!