Survey - Kodachrome Revival Price Point?

Schweppes

A
Schweppes

Twoism

D
Twoism

Skimming Stones

D
Skimming Stones

Stone In Focus

D
Stone In Focus

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NegativeCreep
Recent bookmarks

What is the MAXIMUM you be willing to pay for Kodachrome plus processing?

• film + processing <$40 per roll

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • film + processing <$50 per roll

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • film + processing <$60 per roll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • film + processing <$70 per roll

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No price limit

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • uninterested at any price

Votes: 58 57.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyingCamera

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
How much would you be willing to pay if Kodachrome were ever resurrected? I have set the price points based on current markets plus past experience. E-6 runs around $20-30/roll for film+processing, depending on market and film choice (assumes buying new film, not frozen, short-date, out-of-date or second-hand). Kodachrome was always more expensive than E-6, so I'm assuming that film and processing would cost at the very least $30/roll for film+processing, not counting shipping and tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooter
Multi Format
Uh oh, Scott. Now you've REALLY gone and done it...

:tongue:

Ken

OP
OP
TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
I'm asking this not to provoke a new fight, but to collect feedback to bring to the existing discussion about Kodachrome. Granted this is a flawed marketing survey based on some admittedly random suppositions, but I don't think those suppositions are completely without merit, and this might help inject a dose of perspective to the discussion.

ArtO

Shooter
Multi Format
I like Kodachrome but would really prefer to shoot Ektachrome. So I'd say my price point would be in the $25-35 range.

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
I wouldn't pay anything for it because I can't print it. I never bought it even when I could have. I honestly don't think I have a single roll of Kodachrome and I have every roll of film I've ever shot since about 1972.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
if it could be processed in household chemistry
or in the excretions of a household pet it might be worth it
but as it is now not even a thought .

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
Are we going to bring back Cibachrome to go with it, in this imaginary world?

BradleyK

Shooter
Multi Format
OK, I'll play...but I would much rather be voting on and discussing a more likely occurrence...say...a "manned" landing on Saturn or Jupiter. However, to amuse the dreamers...I would be willing to pay $40.00/roll, processing included...

Roger Cole

Shooter
Multi Format
what is his price ?

I think something in the neighborhood of $250 per roll for processing alone was floated around, but that's for very limited quantities hand processed by someone having to make up the chemistry. And when it was actually asked by someone with the film, I seem to recall he wasn't that interested. Still, a different prospect from a commercial operation.

I'd pay $50, for a few rolls a year.

Shooter
Multi Format
Granted this is a flawed marketing survey based on some admittedly random suppositions...

Well I do agree with this, and for some very good reasons, but it should be great fun anyway just to watch.

2 out of every 5 so far... that's 40%... that's more than even I would have expected...

:w00t:

[Edit: Wow. Now up to 17/38 = 45% willing to open their wallets? Nice. I'm honestly surprised. Scale that up to the current membership and it's >30,000 on this site alone. Makes me wonder how much higher the interest might be if the cost were on a par with current E-6 prices.]

Ken

PKM-25

Shooter
Multi Format
what is his price ?

$50, no, $100, do I hear $200, $250?…wait…people are interested? $500 and only if I deem your photos worthy….you are not worthy, NO ONE IS WORTHY!

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
W

[Edit: Wow. Now up to 17/38 = 45% willing to open their wallets? Nice. I'm honestly surprised. Scale that up to the current membership and it's >30,000 on this site alone. ]

Ken

Its 45% of people who are willing to open and waste precious seconds of their life to vote on a thread about Kodachrome, not necessarily 45% of members.

Shooter
Multi Format
Its 45% of people who are willing to open and waste precious seconds of their life to vote on a thread about Kodachrome, not necessarily 45% of members.

That's correct.

But the 55% is also skewed by people like yourself who admittedly "...never bought it even when I could have" and are also allowed to cast a vote.

Realistically, since this is a poll addressing the return of a product to a market made up of users of that product, it might be more accurate to poll only those who had used it before. And what might they be willing to pay to use it again. There would be little expectation that people who already disliked it before would suddenly want it start using it on a second go around.

Because it's so simple, the poll is unavoidably and admittedly skewed in many ways. One can only hope that the factors might somewhat balance out to some degree. And any conclusions that might be drawn are still only shadows at best.

But it's still kinda' fun anyway, right?

:smile:

Ken

Shooter
Multi Format
And, in next weeks poll.....if Ford re-released the model T, would you buy it and for how much....

#floggingdeaddonkies
#worsethreadever

How funny. Last summer I attended a car show with a sizable contingent of Model As and a few Model Ts. I'm not a car enthusiast. But it was fun to see all of the beautifully restored examples.

The funny part is that I found out that some of those guys had already spent more on their Model As and Ts than they would have buying a Ferrari. I didn't understand it. But then, my understanding wasn't important to them. They saw it as the best money they had ever spent.

Go figure...

:wink:

Ken

BradS

Shooter
35mm
not interested in Kodachrome at any price (and, yeah, I have used it, both ASA25 and ASA64).

Would much rather see Ektachrome E100G made available in 4x5 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom