Summer on the way!

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Simon Howers, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looking forward to better weather after a terrible winter here - my workshop flooded when the river Worth in Keighley burst it's banks on 26th December, we're still clearing up.

6x9 Camera.jpg

Current rebuild project, an Erneman ¼ plate camera with lots of metal plate holders well underway. Anybody know where I can buy the really thick velvet they used as light seals? Pictures to follow.

Shown here is a hand-built 6x9 field camera which will be modified to take glass quarter plates. Photo near the top of the Furka Pass (Switzerland/Italy) in 2008.

2. RSalles

RSalles Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Simon,
    Sorry for your workshop...
    We have some things in common, as I like bikes and photo too - I used to go to the roads with my bike and a pair of cameras in the bag, that's a lot fun.
    Show us more the camera you've built, is the one with you in the photo?

Cheers,

Renato

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking forward to some better weather too Simon, but unfortunately in recent years the only way to tell that it's summer in the U.K is the rain feels warmer :smile:

4. OP
    OP
    Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Herewith some pictures of the "Erneman Project". I have 9 plate holders. 3 are in reasonable condition and can be used, the other 6 have been stripped and now need cleaning up and repainting. Fitting velvet seals is going to be fun.
    Glass ¼ plates have been delivered by Newcastle Optical - seen here in packaging, each one is individually wrapped!
    The spring back on the camera needs some cleaning up but appears to be in working order.
    I shall do the testing with commercial emulsion and then intend to move to something faster - say 125 ISO - so that I can hand hold the camera. IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0180.JPG

5. OP
    OP
    Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Herewith pictures of miniature field camera. Currently the back takes a 6x9 rollfilm magazine. I will be adding a spring holder for ¼ plates.
    Img_0182[1].jpg Img_0183[1].jpg

6. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I own that camera too.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might think about a 9x12 back as film is available, and you can still coat your own if wanted as well.

Is the Erneman definitely Quarter plate, most were 9x12.

Ian

8. OP
    OP
    Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The glass plates are 3¼" x 4¼"

9. RSalles

RSalles Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lovely camera indeed! Let me know if you'll sell some copies,

Cheers,

Renato

10. OP
    OP
    Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stripped the spring back and started cleaning the plate holders. New ground glass ordered - from Lithuania already! Img_0190[1].jpg Img_0191[1].jpg

11. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't been able to figure out where to get the velvet parts. I have been thinking about asking the Large Format and Ultra Large Format people as they seem to build quite a bit of their own stuff. I have a Rada roll film holder that had bad velvet and I ended up using foam rubber and a piece of backing paper to imitate a Hasselblad's Mylar light seal. I am thinking it will work but I am sure you will want something less cobbled for your plate holders. I certainly wish I knew where to get it.

Brian

12. OP
    OP
    Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't found velvet which is as thick as the original anywhere. I use the the thickest I can find and glue it to thin modelers' plywood to raise the pile to the correct height for the darkslide

13. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did this for a while at first but it wore out right away. It worked well for about fifty images but then little streaks of light turned pretty big pretty fast.

Go look at your screen door. Many have a seal of sorts that is made of long-haired stuff. Maybe that could be adapted? It is about the right pile. I am not sure if it is dense enough. Mine is a silvery-grey so it might pass light. It might be able to be dyed.

Brian

14. OP
    OP
    Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Refurb proceeding on plate holders.
    Took a while to get the paint off and clean up the parts. I have to replace a couple of small brass rivets which are easy to make from wire.
    I found some suitable velvet tape. Ernemn reburb1.jpg
    Paint has to be applied very thin and left on top of a radiator to dry and go hard for several days.

15. ced

ced Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    If you go to a store that sells all kinds of material and garnishing for dresses & furniture/curtains etc. sometimes hobby stores for ladies
    I am sure you can find lush velvet ribbon/tape which you can cut in strips wide enough for the seals