Threads
Members
Latest member
jowens
Recent bookmarks

Arcturus

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi, I recently bought a type of curio cabinet to house my camera collection and I have my classic folders on display there in the open position. Is there a reason why they shouldn't be kept in the open position? They are at no point in direct sunlight, but is there anything else to worry about with the bellows when open?

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Actually, I think it's better to store them open, rather than closed.

Peltigera

Shooter
Multi Format
In a cool, dry environment, it will not make a jot of a difference. When stored closed, the folds of the bellows are in close contact and more likely to stick or develop mildew.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
What he said.

Bob Marvin

Shooter
Medium Format
They were intended to be stored folded. If your main interest in folding cameras is to use them, why not store them that way? OTOH, if the display is most important, they do look much better open. I'm basically a user and my Ikonta and Super Ikonta As , which I use when I want to travel light, stay folded in a camera bag. My snazzy-looking (albeit common) art deco Kodak Jiffy 116, which I bought for display and will never use, sits open on a mantel.

Peltigera

Shooter
Multi Format
They were intended to be stored closed - and to be used on a regular basis. I agree that a used camera is best stored closed - all parts are then protected and the bellows will be opened often enough to provide ventilation to the inside. But a camera that is not going to be used (why?) might well be better stored open.

OP
OP
Arcturus

Arcturus

Shooter
Medium Format
Great! All my folders are in good condition and I use them, but I'd also like to have them on display so that's good news.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom