Stiff aperture ring

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Lucas Lee, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    I own an om1 along with a 50, 28 and 200mm lens. When I close the aperture on my 50mm the aperture ring runs smoothly. When opening aperture however, it's difficult to turn the aperture ring as if there was a spring causing resistance. This only occurs with my 50mm. Is this a design feature or a mechanical failure? I've tested the camera using bulb mode and the aperture blades move fine.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Photrio.
    The 50mm lens needs to be serviced, and may have suffered some damage.

3. OP
    OP
    Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    That's a bit hard to believe, there's no visible damage to the lens and I tend to baby it more than most people would. Will definitely get it checked

4. OP
    OP
    Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    Plus, the aperture ring turns smoothly when the lens isn't mounted to the camera

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Given your last observation, you should probably have both the camera and the lens together when you get the check done.
    Have you owned this equipment since new, or did you buy it used? If you bought it used, there is no good way of knowing how it was handled in the past.
    Good luck getting things fixed. I've been using OM equipment for 40+ years, so I definitely appreciate your concerns.

6. OP
    OP
    Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    T
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. My guess is that the tension is caused by the springy thing in the camera body that tells the meter the aperture. If that's the case, why does the aperture ring on other lenses turn freely?

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The connection between the metering system and the aperture may have worn differently on the different lenses, or there may be a loose or damaged part in the 50mm lens that only creates a problem when the metering connection from the camera is engaged.

8. OP
    OP
    Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    Just realized I can reply to messages without quoting them. I can't thank you enough for your advice

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    These lenses are so cheap these days I consider your best and cheapest alternative is to buy another one that works properly.

10. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't mention the exact 50mm you have, but if you are a bit handy with tools this video might be your solution...

Of course, many on here cringe at the thought of anyone other than factory anointed individuals touching the internals of their cameras or lenses, so weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

11. OP
    OP
    Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    Thanks for the advice benji, however I'll attempt to repair it using the video provided by kino. Otherwise the lens is in great shape and is still a joy to use

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    You have to add to the equation the time, effort and hassle required to try and fix the lens which I.M.O. is not worth the effort on a lens that can be replaced so cheaply, life's too short.

13. OP
    OP
    Lucas Lee

Lucas Lee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Analog
    You're not saying it's worth a shot? I went hungry just to save up for this camera

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Great so run out and buy more lenses that need servicing!

15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I'm saying Steve that's what he is most probably will have to do in the end after wasting his time and effort, but he needs to buy one in good condition.

16. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some folks enjoy the challenge. Apparently you don't, different strokes etc. If he messes it up you can say that
    you told him so................:whistling:

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The suggestion to seek a replacement is almost certainly influenced by the fact that, unlike a lot of other lenses, the 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko OM lenses are relatively plentiful and relatively cheap on the used market.

18. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somehow, I think he will do fine by attempting the repair. Either way, successful or not, it's worth the effort and it won't stop him from buying one of those cheap lenses you keep mentioning.

I took apart a Nikon 50mm prime just the other day and cleaned it; no problem. There is no magic gas or sacred air inside, nor do the camera police come and beat down your door.

Some people prefer to repair rather than dispose...

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will agree that, due to their market value and availability, if you are going to try (and potentially fail) to repair your lens, the 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko is a good lens to experiment on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.