Source of small british standard screws

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by xtolsniffer, May 12, 2018.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,
    I'm part way through restoring an old Houghton-Butcher No. 7 Ensign Carbine (early1930's?). The shutter (Compur serial number 2110823) and lens (Aldis Uno anastrgmat 4 inch f4.5) have all come apart and cleaned up nicely, but the body is in a bit of a state. The bellows are light-tight but I'm missing a few small screws from various places. Aside from finding a donor camera, anyone know of any good places to pick up small screws in a variety of diameters and lengths? I'm assuming as it's a British camera that they will be British-Stardard (probably British Standard Fine).

2. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike,
    if I can work out the diameter and length of the missing screws I'll give them a ring...

4. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    When I needed some BA screws for my MPP, I went hunting around the British Model Railway and Model Engineering suppliers. I did have the advantage of knowing what I wanted (size, length, head type).

Macc Models https://maccmodels.co.uk/ is one possibility, but I am not sure that was where I finally found what I needed.

5. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hadn't thought of model-engineers, excellent suggestion, thanks for that! There seems to be a whole host of sites out there for these small screws for modelers...

6. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I often found those little screws at a model railway shop in my hometown. In my experience you will find almost any screw on ebay - unfortunately you often have to buy a 100 pieces ...

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd go down the Donor camera route, I've stripped scrap Japanese cameras for screws, springs etc in the past so was able to helps someone recently who'd lost a screw from a Bronica film insert.

There's scrap cameras for a pound at the Camera Fair I go to, but you might try the Charity shops.

Ian

8. P.johnson14

P.johnson14 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Shops specializing in model railway and model steam engines should be able to help you out. Also, some of the folks who are into building/restoring models and/or antique engines oftentimes have to make nuts, bolts, and screws because of old or obsolete threads. Perhaps they could help you out.