Source of small british standard screws

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by xtolsniffer, May 12, 2018.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,
    I'm part way through restoring an old Houghton-Butcher No. 7 Ensign Carbine (early1930's?). The shutter (Compur serial number 2110823) and lens (Aldis Uno anastrgmat 4 inch f4.5) have all come apart and cleaned up nicely, but the body is in a bit of a state. The bellows are light-tight but I'm missing a few small screws from various places. Aside from finding a donor camera, anyone know of any good places to pick up small screws in a variety of diameters and lengths? I'm assuming as it's a British camera that they will be British-Stardard (probably British Standard Fine).

2. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike,
    if I can work out the diameter and length of the missing screws I'll give them a ring...

4. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    When I needed some BA screws for my MPP, I went hunting around the British Model Railway and Model Engineering suppliers. I did have the advantage of knowing what I wanted (size, length, head type).

Macc Models https://maccmodels.co.uk/ is one possibility, but I am not sure that was where I finally found what I needed.

5. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hadn't thought of model-engineers, excellent suggestion, thanks for that! There seems to be a whole host of sites out there for these small screws for modelers...

6. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I often found those little screws at a model railway shop in my hometown. In my experience you will find almost any screw on ebay - unfortunately you often have to buy a 100 pieces ...

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd go down the Donor camera route, I've stripped scrap Japanese cameras for screws, springs etc in the past so was able to helps someone recently who'd lost a screw from a Bronica film insert.

There's scrap cameras for a pound at the Camera Fair I go to, but you might try the Charity shops.

Ian

8. P.johnson14

P.johnson14 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Shops specializing in model railway and model steam engines should be able to help you out. Also, some of the folks who are into building/restoring models and/or antique engines oftentimes have to make nuts, bolts, and screws because of old or obsolete threads. Perhaps they could help you out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.