SOLD-FREE:Thomas Duplex Super Safelight

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by summicron1, Oct 12, 2018.

1. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, this thing has to go -- either it's out the door or into the recycling bin, you choose.

Someone gave me this, but it is way too big for my humble little darkroom that has, among other things, a low ceiling. The local university doesn't want it. It's clogging my garage.

SO: I have a friend who says he has the facilities to pack and ship it. He was horrified when I told him I was considering tossing this and offered to help find it a home.

So, we will, therefor, send it FREE to whoever is willing to pay the full shipping and packing price. From looking at eBay sales, shipping seems to be in the $50 range, but I am not saying that will cover it. Distance can mean more, I dunno.

Yes, it does work. I plugged it in, the bulb fires up. It has the proper safelight filters for b/w work.

A note: The bulbs for these cost $100 each. As an alternative, perhaps you already have one of these safelights and need just a spare bulb. If you send me $50 via paypal, I will take the bulb out of this, ship it to you as safely as it can be packed, and toss the heavy metal shell into the recycling. That sounds harsh, but with the shrinkage of darkroom use, these things are a glut on the market.

Deal?

And as always, if you are anywhere near Ogden, Utah, you can come pick it up and save yourself the shipping costs.

paypal and email: summicron12000@yahoo.com
    charlie trentelman
    Ogden, UT Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 9.13.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 9.13.51 AM.png

2. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no financial incentive but let me give you my testimonial. I have one in my tiny darkroom and it is very bright. For those scared by the price of the lamp, two things:
    1. The lamp is just a standard SOX 35 sodium vapor lamp which you can buy for $65.00 USD if you buy from a electrical supply house, it is $100+ if you buy it in a camera store. I bought my spare on Ebay for $35.00 USD
    2. The lamp may outlast you! 10,000 hours is a lot of evenings and weekends.
    3. It IS a heavy biscuit so the shipping sounds about right.

3. OP
    OP
    summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have had several folks ask, so thank you all kindly.

4. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have one of these I'd love to get rid of as well. If anyone asking about it lives in Canada send them my way.

5. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like it's in great shape, I'd buy it but I already have 2.

6. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had one for nearly 40 years and the only thing I've ever done to it is replace the filter material. Great safelight, IMO.

7. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I’m interested for when I expand plate-making out of my basement. I’ll send you a pm

8. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    THis is basically the best safelight ever made, it shouldn't get tossed. I'd take it but I already have one.

9. Sundowner

Sundowner Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn it! Missed out! I'm looking for a second one of these to finish out my darkroom remodel; if anyone still has one in decent shape that they want to get rid of, I'll happily pay to ship it!

10. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just to wrap this up, I was the (very) lucky recipient. The safelight is incredibly bright, doesn’t fog my paper, and will likely save me falling to my death tripping over something in my darkroom. THANK YOU, SUMMICRON, for passing it along. I know that getting it packed up and shipped wasn’t trivial, and it arrived safe and sound.

11. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Golly! You must have a monster sized darkroom. I have one and I keep it as dim as I can. I don't need to read newspapers in my darkroom. Don't regret buying the Thomas at all.......Regards!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.