Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

Tom Taylor

Shooter
Multi Format
It's been a while since I made a salt print and yesterday I spotted a subject that I think would look best printed as a salt print. I have a 11% SN solution with 5% citric acid added as a preservative. The solution was first mixed using distilled water in August, 2015 and stored amber bottle in a dark relatively cool place. The acid has precipitated out of solution and appears in a solid form at the bottom of the bottle. My question is whether the precipitated acid has adversely affected the silver solution? I am not interested in the preservative effect of the acid as I print within 2 hours of coating.

Thomas

Herzeleid

Shooter
Multi Format
Depending on the heat and humidity silver coated and slightly buffered paper can darken spontaneously in less than an hour. It happened so I started using acid in printing. The silver citrate precipitate won't harm your solution but you have lost some amount of silver, it is no longer %11 percent.
Silver nitrate and citric acid can be mixed just before coating the paper. Into a shot glass for each 1ml of Silver nitrate add a drop of concentrated Citric Acid. I prefer to use %50, 20 to 40 percent is quite enough.

OP
OP

Tom Taylor

Shooter
Multi Format
I was thinking that some of the silver adhered to the solid acid but I imagine that the solution is still good. When I first started with the process I added the acid because I was coating and drying 2 to 3 sheets at a time keeping the coated and dried sheets in a paper safe while I exposed and developed the other and had noticed that one sheet had darkened by the time I got to it. Nowadays I just coat one sheet and don't need the acid in the solution.

Also, I noticed that silver nitrate crystals turn from white to grey if kept in plastic white bottles that suppliers like Bostick & Sullivan now use. I switched from B&S to another supplier that still use abler glass bottles.

Thomas

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom