Sigma 12-24mm ART - how do you like it???

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

haring

Shooter
35mm
Sigma 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art owners!!!

I just wanted to gather some real life experience from photographers who own the Sigma 12-24mm F4 lens.

How do you like it so far? Do you use it a lot? Is it sharp? Any uncontrollable distortion?

Thanks so much!

GWalls

Shooter
4x5 Format
That lens is not going to work with most any film camera because of the electronic shutter.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Should work with Canon EOS, anyone still shooting Sigma SA 7 or 9, and Nikon F100 and 5, not listed in Pentax or Minolta A mount.

neilt3

Shooter
Multi Format
Should work with Canon EOS, anyone still shooting Sigma SA 7 or 9, and Nikon F100 and 5, not listed in Pentax or Minolta A mount.

Should be fine with the Canon EOS and Sigma , but are you sure about the Nikons ?
My understanding is that the Sigma uses pretty much the same type of Electronic Diaphragm as the new Nikon "E" auto focus lenses ( note , not manual focus series E ).
In which case there will be no aperture control on any Nikon film camera and not even with some older DSLR's .

Please correct me if I am wrong , I'm not really a Nikon shooter , though I have a few odd's and ends .

neilt3

Shooter
Multi Format
If the Sigma 12-24mm f/4 is anything like my Nikon wide angles, it has difficulty accepting filters over the front of the bulbous lens.

Nikon Wide Angles by Narsuitus, on Flickr

I don't have the current ART 12-24mm , but I do have the older 12-24mm in Sony/Minolta "A" mount and the 15-30mm both in "A" mount and Canon EF mount , both these type of lenses allow you to fit rear mounted gels filters .
Fine for a bit of contrast control in B&W , but no use for an ND grad .
Does the current ART version have this rear holder for the gels ?

GWalls

Shooter
4x5 Format
I have the latest Nikon F5 and F6. Will not work with either. I did not buy this specific Art lens but did buy the 14mm Art....Does NOT work with my F6....With these lens you will one aperture setting F5.6.
That is it. Not sure if autofocus will work, don't use it. None of the ART lens after the 50 mm will work with Nikon cameras.

The ART lens do not have the rear holder for the gels. But Sigma has made a rear hold for Canon cameras D-------. Its a 35.00 accessory. Filter holder are available for front mount. I use the Lee holder but there are others.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Should be fine with the Canon EOS and Sigma , but are you sure about the Nikons ?
My understanding is that the Sigma uses pretty much the same type of Electronic Diaphragm as the new Nikon "E" auto focus lenses ( note , not manual focus series E ).
In which case there will be no aperture control on any Nikon film camera and not even with some older DSLR's .

Please correct me if I am wrong , I'm not really a Nikon shooter , though I have a few odd's and ends .

Listed by Sigma as both Nikon and E, (and separate listing for Sony E), which I think is Nikon E mount, I guess the Nikon is G mount, could be D, the site is not clear about which Nikon versions. A Nikon shooter could send Sigma and email. I shoot Minolta/Sony A, so none for me.

neilt3

Shooter
Multi Format
I have the latest Nikon F5 and F6. Will not work with either. I did not buy this specific Art lens but did buy the 14mm Art....Does NOT work with my F6....With these lens you will one aperture setting F5.6.
That is it. Not sure if autofocus will work, don't use it. None of the ART lens after the 50 mm will work with Nikon cameras.

The ART lens do not have the rear holder for the gels. But Sigma has made a rear hold for Canon cameras D-------. Its a 35.00 accessory. Filter holder are available for front mount. I use the Lee holder but there are others.

Listed by Sigma as both Nikon and E, (and separate listing for Sony E), which I think is Nikon E mount, I guess the Nikon is G mount, could be D, the site is not clear about which Nikon versions. A Nikon shooter could send Sigma and email. I shoot Minolta/Sony A, so none for me.

Hi Paul ,I'm also a Sony/Minolta shooter .

GWalls confirms above that these lenses are not compatible with film camera's .
With regards to Nikons lens mount , there isn't a E,D or G mount .
Nikon SLR's & DSLR's are Nikon F mount .
I think they call their mirrorless digital camer "J" mount ( A.K.A R.I.P ).

The letters you mention are just different lens desination's , ie the "D" type is the only type of Nikon A/F lens I buy , these are screw driven with an aperture ring , so can be used on any camera A/F or M/F .
"G" lenses don't have an aperture ring and can't be used on earlier A/F film cameras ( or with limitations )before a certain date or MF cameras .
I think these new "E" type lenses only work with cameras that were released after 2007 . So any DSLR's that came out earlier are not compatible , and as no new film cameras came out after then , non are compatible either .

But all Nikon SLR & DSLR lenses are "F" mount , including the "DX" crop sensor lenses and the Pronia APS SLR's .

GWalls

Shooter
4x5 Format
Just for informational purposes. Even though the new Nikon E lenses are F mount they will not work with any Nikon film cameras. I have just about quit using any Nikon AF lenses, even though I have Nikon cameras from as far back as the F model. I do have a couple of digitals around for the Sigma lens. Have just about switched all my film cameras to Zeiss Milvis lens with manual focus. If your going to continue to shoot film, and I will, better stock up on the older lens. All the new ones or E lens with electronic apertures.

narsuitus

Shooter
Multi Format
I have just about quit using any Nikon AF lenses, even though I have Nikon cameras from as far back as the F model.

I agree!

I quit buying F-mount lens with no manual aperture ring.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom