Show your mounted/framed photographs on the wall...

Mustang

A
Mustang

32nd Avenue

A
32nd Avenue

Saab

A
Saab

Chevy Van

A
Chevy Van

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Leica CL, 1934 Elmar 3.5cm f 3.5, Agfapan 25. 11x14" darkroom print

52625482968_5c11c18d3c_c.jpg
Flickr
It looks like you do your own dry mounting, matting, and framing. There is obvious care taken in how the dry mounted print sits in the window, and there are no over cuts in the mats window. Nicely done, very clean.

I got somebody to dry mount and mat a print for me...once...then I learned how to do it.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Thank you. I haven't reached the 10k hours with cutting window mats yet and am still discovering measuring tricks along the way. I have to admit, I find the printing easier than the mounting!

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Thank you. I haven't reached the 10k hours with cutting window mats yet and am still discovering measuring tricks along the way. I have to admit, I find the printing easier than the mounting!
I hear you. It's like subduing some mythic multi-headed beast.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
8"x20" contact print from enlarged 4"x10" negative (Bergger 200 in Pyrocat)...print on Ilford Warmtone FB
IMG_6839 2.JPG
67202554405__C2E5A459-0A77-4873-80B9-F46D84AF6BD6 2.jpg

Rolleiflexible

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
8"x20" contact print from enlarged 4"x10" negative (Bergger 200 in Pyrocat)...print on Ilford Warmtone FB

Greg, did you use an inkjet to make the enlarged negative? I do that with alt processes (Kallitypes) and am wondering how well the process translates to contact-printing on silver gelatin.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Greg, did you use an inkjet to make the enlarged negative? I do that with alt processes (Kallitypes) and am wondering how well the process translates to contact-printing on silver gelatin.

Sanders, that image is one of 3 I had negatives made by Bob Carnie. I sent him file scans..... BUT one negative was perfect, one had banding issues on his printed negative and the 3rd one (from a scan of a 5x7" neg) had such banding issues as to not be usable. He re-did one and it had similar problems. An expensive failed experiment.....
If i need something similar for a client in the future i admit, i'll just look for someone to a high quality digital print.....but i prefer printing in my own darkroom.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A few, but poorly captured on the iPhone, they appear washed out.
1673812301456.png

1673812325816.png

1673812384125.png

1673812401911.png

1673812420090.png

1673812437546.png

1673812458627.png

Rolleiflexible

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Sanders, that image is one of 3 I had negatives made by Bob Carnie. I sent him file scans..... BUT one negative was perfect, one had banding issues on his printed negative and the 3rd one (from a scan of a 5x7" neg) had such banding issues as to not be usable. He re-did one and it had similar problems. An expensive failed experiment.....
If i need something similar for a client in the future i admit, i'll just look for someone to a high quality digital print.....but i prefer printing in my own darkroom.

I am sorry to hear that. I've had to deal with banding only once, and that was due to a clogged inkjet print head. I know banding can occur with 8-bit files, but if you're scanning a large negative and working with 16-bit files, you should have been able to get a printable negative.

For the enlarged negative that worked for you: How did the contact print you made with it compare to what you ordinarily print with a regular negative? I am curious as to how well a digital negative contact-prints on silver gelatin papers. Any thoughts?

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I am sorry to hear that. I've had to deal with banding only once, and that was due to a clogged inkjet print head. I know banding can occur with 8-bit files, but if you're scanning a large negative and working with 16-bit files, you should have been able to get a printable negative.

For the enlarged negative that worked for you: How did the contact print you made with it compare to what you ordinarily print with a regular negative? I am curious as to how well a digital negative contact-prints on silver gelatin papers. Any thoughts?

The contact print worked out really well. As you can imagine, the scanned file from the 4"x10"
negative had lots of detail. The print on Ilford Warmtone is pretty much as good as you'd get from a regular negative.

Mick Fagan

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Another one, a Kenyan lady in her Sunday best. Nikkor 105mm this is full frame with bleed that can be seen in places, I was a bit too close.

Wall_Hanging_Nancy_Nuncee.jpg

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom