Show “Fulhame’s Map” disappointing

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by sly, Apr 8, 2018.

1. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was looking forward to this photographic show because of this specific line in the promo - “both contemporary and historical modes of image production”.
    The brochure indicated the show would include work by a local 19th century pioneer in photography, as well as contemporary work, all by women.
    Hannah Maynard, the historical figure, had her work presented as inkjet prints, scanned from her glass plate negatives. A contemporary image maker apparently uses film as part of her process, but her inkjet prints are totally abstract blocks of colour, indistinguishable to me from computer art. A third was silhouettes of household objects drawn under a spotlight. The whole show felt quite thin. There was another gallery opening up the street, which was much more eclectic, interesting, and crowded.

I had hoped to see historical prints, complimented by current interpretations of historic printing methods. I’ll go back and take another look, as my disappointment may have coloured my reaction somewhat, but I think I’ll remain underwhelmed.

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don’t go to exhibitions often, but I have been disappointed by similar expectations (based on the promo material). Here in Kyoto there is a month-long photography festival called kyotographie. While most of the work shown is digital (which is fine, people are doing interesting work out there), it’s the film photographers that catch my eye. Unfortunately, most of the work shown are not analog based prints, which is disappointing.

I’m sorry to hear you were unimpressed with this show. I would’ve been too, as I love looking at historical prints.