Shortest Lens on Devere 5108 enlarger?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Tom Stanworth, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

The shortest lens I have been able to use on this enlarger has been 105mm. Does anyone know what I need to be able to use an 80mm or, preferably a 50mm. Is this even possible?

Rgds

2. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am using an Nikkor 180mm APO and thought that was short...EC

3. OP
    OP
    Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am wondering if there are heavily recessed panels available? If not, I might be better off picking up a used 6x7/35mm enlarger for my negs. I can get nice big enlargements off MF but with 35mm I have to drop the board and rack up the head to the point of it being bigger than me! I can get a 20x16 from 35mm and the results are just fine with the 105mm rodenstock with teack sharp grain, but still its not a nice way to work. I am building up quite a few 35mm negs that need the 20x16-20x24 treatment and this just is not a workable solution for more than the odd print. might try to pick up a used Meopta 7 or something like that.

4. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I bought a really nice 670 LPL VCCE on e**y for $75.00, bought a glass carrier for it and am much happier with my prints from roll film...EC

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange I answered this eraler today. There's a recessed lens board that allows use of an 80mm & 50mm. My 5108 came had been used for 6x6 before I bought it, but I only use it for 6x9 and 6x17 & LF preferring to use my Durst for 6x6 & the odd 35mm.

Ian

6. OP
    OP
    Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in reality it would probably be easier to find a cheap used 6x6/7/9 enlarger and use that than to chase down elusive recess boards I suspect. The other downside to the 5108 is that if uses four 300w bulbs which is a huge waste on 35mm! A used enlarger it is. Kinda makes sense as i will be selling up most of my darkroom soon due to in preparation for moving countries. I'll get the 5108 ready for sale. I don't want to because it is a fantastic floor standing unit and has worked nicely for me. I can't imagine trying to find another! These days I am shooting 35mm and 6x7 so it makes little sense; however, when I am resettled I will be hunting for something to cover 5x7 as my walker 5x7XL won't be going up for sale that's for sure!

7. OP
    OP
    Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I logged onto ebay last night and guess what were for sale? Recessed Devere boards. I have hardly ever seen these about and so I picked up the shallow recess (looks like an inch, which should allow use of the 80mm) and a very deep one that looks like about 2.5-3+ inches which I hope will be good for the 50. 20x24s off 35mm (without dropping the bed to the floor and crashing the head into the ceiling) here I come!

A smaller enlarger might make more sense but I know the Devere and before i sell up and move hosue it makes sense to use what I know. It is also perfectly aligned, which can save hours or days of infuriation trying to make small adjustments that the enlarger does not want to make!

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You did well Tom, I saw those boards, that deep one looks just the job for 35mm and the shallow one for 6x6.

Ian