Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii, 1907-1915

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by jtk, Jul 1, 2018.

1. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many of us have seen Gorskii's 1918 color photos.

Unearthed those I downloaded and printed for myself back in 3/18/2004. I don't think Gorskii would have minded.

Beautiful color, subtle or intense according to the images... thanks to that fine old Epson pigment.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html

[​IMG]
    Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii. On the Karolitskhali River, ca. 1907-1915. Digital color rendering. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. (LC-DIG-ppmsc-03991) (1)

"Prokudin-Gorskii left Russia in 1918, going first to Norway and England before settling in France. By then, the tsar and his family had been murdered and the empire that Prokudin-Gorskii so carefully documented had been destroyed. His unique images of Russia on the eve of revolution—recorded on glass plates—were purchased by the Library of Congress in 1948 from his heirs. For this exhibition, the glass plates have been scanned and, through an innovative process known as digichromatography, brilliant color images have been produced. This exhibition features a sampling of Prokudin-Gorskii's historic images produced through the new process; the digital technology that makes these superior color prints possible; and celebrates the fact that for the first time many of these wonderful images are available to the public."

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the book Photography For The Czar by Prokudin- Gorsil, it has some stunning colour pictures of pre-revolutionary Russia and of the soon to be murdered Czar and his family, this is a wonderful book and one of my most prized possessions.

3. michr

michr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I come back to these from time to time. I find it easier to relate to these images, and get a stronger sense of the people and the setting, than if they were black and white.