Separate brushes for PtPd and Kallitype?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by wilsonneal, May 11, 2007.

1. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am making a first pass at Kallitype this weekend, and realize that I forgot to order a brush. I have a Richeson for PtPd. Can one use the same brush for both processes, washing well in Clearing bath afterwards, or do I need a dedicated brush for Kallitypes?

Thanks
    Neal

2. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

I use the same brushes for kallitype and pt./pd. Just wash well after use, with a final soaking in distilled water.

I also use the same tray, and one-tray for all of the steps. I also use brushes with metal ferrules.

God, hope this is not too offensive to the purist souls.

Sandy

3. OP
    OP
    wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    LOL! Thanks Sandy.

4. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm with Sandy. One brush, one tray, attention to detail.
    JIm

5. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Gasp, gasp, gasp...

6. andrewch59

andrewch59 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I know this is a VERY old thread, but I had to thank you for putting me on to these brushes. I have tried using the old hake brush and cannot get a result without even a few brush stokes. I read this thread and thought "hang the expense" and bought two of the richeson 9000 series 2 inch brushes, they are quite amazing! Thankyou!

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to be a die-hard Richeson fan. I still like them very much for the quality of their bristles. But I've since switched to these for my personal work: http://shop.inkjetmall.com/Kobayashi-Synthetic-Japanese-Alt-Process-Brush-2-Inch.html . They're more expensive than the Richeson, but the bristle quality is at least equal, and since there's no paint and no metal ferrule, they'll last a LOT longer (no rusting ferrule bleeding iron oxide into the brush bristles if you inadvertently leave it soaking in distilled water overnight). I've ruined enough Richesons to have paid for the Kobayashi.