Threads
Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

jtk

Shooter
35mm
I can't imagine selling a print without first seeing it. Plus the great majority of my work is on film and printed by me in the darkroom--something those services couldn't offer. Jus the thought of my photos on a mug, t-shirt or anything like that makes me nauseous.

Interesting to remember Ansel Adams famous coffee cans and mass production of calendar art, as well as his many technicians (he was never limited to just one or two printers)..

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Interesting to remember Ansel Adams famous coffee cans and mass production of calendar art, as well as his many technicians (he was never limited to just one or two printers)..

Just because St Ansel might have put his photos on a coffee can doesn’t make it a good idea. Calendars can be printed to the same standard as books and it does not matter how many technicians might be involved as long as standards are met. I would assume if the artist signs the work it means it is what he or she intended it to be.

• jtk
  • jtk
  • Deleted

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Just because St Ansel might have put his photos on a coffee can doesn’t make it a good idea.

It met his goal of supplying an income. It was a good idea for him.

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Pixel.com and like websites have been mentioned. I checked them out and they seem to operate like Instagram. If your stuff fits their sales algorithm then it floats to the top. If not then it languishes near the bottom with 10's of thousands of other image makers.

I would like to find a dealer with a credible list of buyers. They are hard to come by and even harder to get represented by. Maybe an agent would be a solution.

In the old days I had good success from magazines that either featured my work or I wrote articles for. Since magazines are dead that is no longer a viable option.

I hate dealing with collectors one on one. Oh well still looking for a workable solution.

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Pixel.com and like websites have been mentioned. I checked them out and they seem to operate like Instagram. If your stuff fits their sales algorithm then it floats to the top. If not then it languishes near the bottom with 10's of thousands of other image makers.

I would like to find a dealer with a credible list of buyers. They are hard to come by and even harder to get represented by. Maybe an agent would be a solution.

In the old days I had good success from magazines that either featured my work or I wrote articles for. Since magazines are dead that is no longer a viable option.

I hate dealing with collectors one on one. Oh well still looking for a workable solution.

Photo buyers for the few magazines that are still printed, plus the online magazines, regularly go to Instagram looking for specific material. The technique is to have as many hashtags as you can think of that relate to the photos you post. That's how they search. Of course, the fees they pay are minuscule, but at least you're not getting reamed by a stock agency.

• jtk
  • jtk
  • Deleted

jtk

Shooter
35mm
Do a little research. Magazine publication is stronger now than before pandemic. Many new magazines, especially special interest and photographic.

I just stumbled into an online art/photo magazine that sells their many NEW specialty magazines in very expensive print. Will try to find that.

Big old brands are shifting photo and overall creative budgets online while re-focusing print editions on more national languages and cultural interests.

"Credible lists of buyers" is a joke, always has been the plea of failing salespeople.

• jtk
  • jtk
  • Deleted

jtk

Shooter
35mm
I casually follow this wonderful free website that uses photography well (for scenes, architecture, food, people etc) but whose real business existence sells products which often involve photography.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, not to mention his support of Sierra Club.

And of course, those coffee cans were perfect planters for, um, cannabis. Used to see them in every studio and home.

Who would ever do such a thing? That might be illegal!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom