Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
I recently aquired a full, unopened bottle of selenium toner in a lot with a bunch of other darkroom stuff I just grabbed off of Craigslist. The guy I picked everything up from said he hasn't touched the darkroom in about 10 years, so I'm guessing the bottle is at least of that vintage.

I haven't opened the bottle yet and tried to mix it up, but on the bottom of the bottle I can clearly see where the selenium (or some other dark grey chemical) has seperated out of solution. I've tried shaking the bottle up but no use, it sticks. Before I waste my time, is this a big deal or is it fit for the hazmat collection?

vedmak

Subscriber
Shooter
Analog
the grey stuff might not be selenium, but some kind of chem reaction of aging plastic from the bottle itself, filter the liquid and try it out, chances are it will be good.

clayne

Shooter
Multi Format
No. It's completely normal. Use the solution from the top and don't worry about the particulate matter.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for the quick replies. So just dump it in and forget about the mysterious grey substance?

jovo

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
I use a coffee filter in a funnel to separate the particulates from the liquid.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
New fly in the ointment. There is a solid clear "chunk" also floating around in there, not sure what it is. It's about the size of a thumbnail and maybe 1/16" thick.

I guess I'll give it a try. I hope it works I really wanted to play with it tonight and none of my local shops have it in stock.

mike c

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I suppose if it's not your nail it will be ok,give it a try(an count your fingers after you are done).

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom