Threads
Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

abruzzi

Shooter
Large Format
So someone just gave me 38 rolls of 120 film and a bunch of boxes of paper, and I don't know how they were stored, but they are fairly old, with the newest expiration dates being 2001. Since I'm setup to develop black and white at home, I'm not all that worried about them, since if they don't come out, its only the loss of a tiny bit of developer and my time. There are 8 rolls of C41 color film (and 4 rolls of C41 black and white). Since everyone always says to overexpose C41 anyway, I figure I'll do that and hope for the best. Processing is not too expensive.

The E-6 has me wondering the most though. There are 10 rolls, I can't process it at home, and its expensive to send off. Given E-6's usual lack of exposure latitude, should I over expose? How sensitive is Ektachrome 50 from 1988 likely to be? Should I write all these off as "Lomo" rolls? I understand the question of storage that I can't answer has a huge impact on how I should use these films, but given that I don't know how do you think I should approach it?

Kodak Plus-X pan 125 4 rolls 7/1993
Kodak Technical Pan 25 1 rolls 12/1999
Kodak T400CN (C41) 2 rolls 01/2001
Kodak T400CN (C41) 1 roll 07/1999
Kodak Verichrome pan VP 125 4 rolls 12/1987
Kodak TMax 100 TMX 2 rolls ???
Kodak TMax 400 TMY 4 rolls ???
Ilford XP1 400 (C41) 1 roll 01/1995

Fujicolor SuperG 100 (CN120) 4 rolls ???
Fujicolor SuperG 400 (CH120) 1 roll ???
Kodak Vericolor III Professional 160 Type S 1 roll 12/1991
Konica Color SR-G160 2 rolls 08/1992

Kodak EPP Ektachrome 100 plus 3 rolls 01/1992
Kodak EPY Ektachrome 50 1 roll 12/1988
Kodak EPT Ektachrome 160T 2 rolls 09/1994
Fujifilm RDPII Provia 100 4 rolls 07/2000

Kodak Kodachrome 64 PKR 1 roll 09/1989

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Shoot the black and white. See how it goes. I wouldn't expect much from the color unless it came out of a freezer. I sure wouldn't pay for expensive E6 processing. I would wait, maybe you can cross process or swap to someone who likes playing with old film. I'm finishing up a box of Tmax 400 sheet film 17 years out of date, has been refrigerated since day one, still works perfectly.

Helios 1984

Shooter
35mm
Use them, of course. I would not expect too much of the colours, but the B/W should be just fine. A few days ago, I processed a roll of 34 years old Agfa Superpan 200 which I've bought from Gary Camera, about 1 ½ year ago. I'd no idea if the stuff had been cold stored, so I just followed the "rule" of -1 stop per 2 decades, and developed normally. The negs scanned nicely :smile:

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
the 400 CN might not be useful, that has been the only poorly stored film that was old
that never even registered an image ... the other stuff add 1fstop / 10 years
personally i'd developall of them in DEKTOL or even better, ANSCO130 ( b/w and color ) for about 7mins @1:6
agitate normally ... i regularly shoot out of date color but never have it developed at a color lab ..
yup, developed it in the same soup.
bon apetit!

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It is all expired. Just junk. Send it to me and I will dispose of it.

OP
OP

abruzzi

Shooter
Large Format
the 400 CN might not be useful, that has been the only poorly stored film that was old
that never even registered an image ...

I was thinking of developing the 400CN and the XP1 in black and white developer, again, to reduce my investment in it. I’ve seen threads recently about developing XP2 in B&W developer (I forget which) so I figured something similar would work here. I have Rodinal and Xtol to try. I was also thinking about the Technical pan. I don’t want to spend a lot on Technidol for one roll, of questionable quality.

Unfortunately the massive dev chart doesn’t seem to have info on a lot of these older films, and it seems like the info was purged. I’ve seen posts referencing tech pan numbers on the massive dev chart, but tech pan doesn’t even show up.

So does anyone think the old Ektachrome and Provia might be usable, or should I trade it to Sirius for his Hasselblad?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
The EPT and EPY are tungsten balanced - expect blue unless you filter accordingly.
Or you could cross process in C41 for interesting and funky colour.
The Kodachrome cannot be developed any more in colour (practically speaking). With some complexity, it can be shot and developed as black and white - there are threads here on that subject.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
if you like high contrast tech pan exposed at iso200 and processed in print developer of your choice
i think it was for like 6mins but i can't remember from the last time i did it its been a while...
can't comment on lots of tones just 2 :smile:

Ces1um

Shooter
Multi Format
The E-6 has me wondering the most though. There are 10 rolls, I can't process it at home, and its expensive to send off. Given E-6's usual lack of exposure latitude, should I over expose? How sensitive is Ektachrome 50 from 1988 likely to be? Should I write all these off as "Lomo" rolls? I understand the question of storage that I can't answer has a huge impact on how I should use these films, but given that I don't know how do you think I should approach it?
I was given a roll of ektachrome 100, 25 years past date, 35mm stock. I shot most of it on a sunny winter day exposing it as I normally would any other roll of film. Take a peak at my results- this was my experience with it. I have no clue as to how it was stored just fyi.

https://www.lomography.com/homes/ces1um/albums/2135978-ektachrome-25-years-out-of-date

OP
OP

abruzzi

Shooter
Large Format
I was given a roll of ektachrome 100, 25 years past date, 35mm stock. I shot most of it on a sunny winter day exposing it as I normally would any other roll of film. Take a peak at my results- this was my experience with it. I have no clue as to how it was stored just fyi.

https://www.lomography.com/homes/ces1um/albums/2135978-ektachrome-25-years-out-of-date

Thanks! I was going to make a snarky joke about the sand being overexposed to white (we almost never get snow down here...) but honestly, they came out great. I’ll probably try the 160T first with an orange filter (I don’t have a #85 correction filter, so orange is as close as I have) outdoors.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom