Schneider 210mm f/8 Super-Angulon.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Keith Tapscott., Nov 3, 2007.

1. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am considering buying a 210mm Super-Angulon lens as a future investment for use with an 8x10 Camera.
    Does anyone own one of these lenses? What lenses from other manufacturers are of a similar specification?

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't Rodenstock make a 210 Grandagon? Another option would be the super symmar aspheric XL.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could go for a 240mm Symmar or Sironar instead, they cover 10x8 and are excellent studio/portrait lenses for 5x4, and a lot ligther than a 210 SA.

Ian

4. OP
    OP
    Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will check out the 210mm Grandagon. The Super-Symmar XL looks a superb lens, but beyond my budget, so I am looking at what is available second-hand. Is there anything similar from Fuji and Nikon as well?

5. OP
    OP
    Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will these allow for some perspective control movements with 8x10?

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Symmar doesn't allow much movements, and is more of a "straight on" kind of lens.

If you want a WA lens for 8x10" that offers lots of movements and can be carried more than 20 meters, you might consider a "plain" Angulon 210mm f:6.8 instead of the über-massive Super Angulon?

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A little, probably not a lot, but then a 165mm f8 SA would be a far better WA on a 10x8 if you can carry it, mines very heavy. Depends what you are planning to shoot.

Ian

8. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The older style Fujinon-W, 210 f5.6 -- the ones with the lens data marked on the front element retaining ring -- more than covers 10x8 and has room for reasonable movements. They show up on the bay pretty often.

I love mine.

Ed

9. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no Grandagon 210mm it is a 200mm for the Grandagon or 155mm for the wider one which I can really recomand!

Armin

10. OP
    OP
    Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I looked on the `Robert White` website and there is a Fuji 250mm f/6.3 CM W lens which has an image circle diameter of 320mm when the lens is stopped down to f/22. This takes a 67mm size filter thread.
    Is this lens suitable as a moderate `wide` general use lens on 8x10?
    What is the specification of the 210mm that you have mentioned?
    I am considering a `moderate` wide lens for 8x10 of around the 200-250mm range.

11. Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had the 165mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon for over fifteen years, having enjoyed using it on my 4x5 and 8x10 Sinar Normas. I have a friend who picked up the 210mm f8 Super Angulon for $800 ten years ago. I don't believe he has ever used this -beast-. And I'm thinking of eventually buying it from him :smile:

Alot of these were used for 8x10 chrome tabletop shooting. They are exceptional in this regard. But, hardly mobile.

12. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is a newer, multi-coated version of the Fujinon-W series lenses. In the older, single-coated version, the 250mm was a 6.7, with a 398mm circle at f/22, while still taking a 67mm filter.

The 210mm f/5.6 has a circle of illumination of 352mm at f/22 and uses a 58mm filter. Closed down to f/45 or f/64, I have a hard time using up all of the movement, though I do occasionally. Going with the 250mm would give you all that much more to play with. The 250's are much coveted and tend to bring a bit of a premium.

Both of the above lenses are in a #1 shutter.

I have a number of friends with the 250mm f/6.7 lens and all love it. Either of these lenses would be very viable options in the focal length range you mention.

Ed

13. OP
    OP
    Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These will definitely be on my list of lenses to look out for.

Thanks,

Keith.