Saunders/LPL 4550XLG Enlarger

In the Old Town

A
In the Old Town

  • 1
  • 1
  • 86
The Longest Day

H
The Longest Day

  • 0
  • 0
  • 69
Bad Copy

H
Bad Copy

  • 0
  • 0
  • 110
Coffee!

A
Coffee!

  • 0
  • 1
  • 146
masked reader

A
masked reader

  • Tel
  • Jun 25, 2022
  • 1
  • 2
  • 146

Forum statistics

Threads
177,852
Messages
2,441,713
Members
94,330
Latest member
Alm1ghty55
Recent bookmarks
0

Ron Musick

Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
4
Shooter
Medium Format
I have ordered a new Saunders/LPL 4550XLG enlarger. Unfortunately, I have not received it yet. I was wondering if anyone had a URL where I could download a users manual and study up on it before it arrives. Thanks.
 
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
296
Location
Scarsdale, N
Ron, I have not found a legal donwloadable version of the manual.

I have to say this--there is not much to the manual. There is not all that much to explain. Its a great enlarger. On certain heads there is a light attenuator that if you forget its engaged will cut output by two spot.

Get the focusing attachment--its a flexable want that goes onto the focusing knob for fine focusing control.

You are going to love this enlarger. had my since 1999 and love it.
 

jp80874

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
3,488
Location
Bath, OH 442
Shooter
ULarge Format
I bought my 4550XLG on eBay a year ago from someone going the "d" word. It has been wonderful. I'm using it for b&w 6x7cm roll film and 4x5 sheets. I hadn't said anything Ron because I don't know of a download source for documentation. If you need any help when you receive the unit just ask, but set up is quite easy and well described in the manual.

Jeffrey, Thanks. I had not seen a focusing wand in any of the dealer accessory listings. When I am head down on the easel with my eye in the Peak grain focuser the focusing knob can be a long reach.

Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob.

Good Luck and ask for help if you need it.

John Powers
Bath, OH
 

Wally H

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
160
Location
NW Washingto
Shooter
Med. Format RF
jp80874 said:
Jeffrey, Thanks. I had not seen a focusing wand in any of the dealer accessory listings. When I am head down on the easel with my eye in the Peak grain focuser the focusing knob can be a long reach.

Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob.

Good Luck and ask for help if you need it.

John Powers
Bath, OH

I purchased this accessory also... I believe it was a Saunders accessory.
 

jovo

Membership Council
Council
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
4,122
Location
Jacksonville
Shooter
Multi Format
Nothing much to add other than to concur that you'll have a terrific machine in your darkroom! There's so little to absorb in the manual beyond what it offers for set-up, that you've no need to study anything in advance. The wand sounds like a great idea, but isn't really necessary until you enlarge beyond 11x14 or crop significantly. Have fun....you'll really enjoy working with this enlarger!
 

Donald Miller

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2002
Messages
6,233
Shooter
Large Format
Ron Musick said:
I have ordered a new Saunders/LPL 4550XLG enlarger. Unfortunately, I have not received it yet. I was wondering if anyone had a URL where I could download a users manual and study up on it before it arrives. Thanks.

The manual covers the difference in two settings based upon differing filtrations for two types of paper. It has a setting that bypasses the filtration for focusing. The rest of it is "ho hum".
 

foraker

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Messages
14
Location
Seattle, WA
Shooter
Large Format
So has anyone seen the focusing extension listed anywhere? I've looked around and the only place I've seen it is on Omega Satter's web site where they want $102 USD for it.
 

Donald Miller

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2002
Messages
6,233
Shooter
Large Format
foraker said:
So has anyone seen the focusing extension listed anywhere? I've looked around and the only place I've seen it is on Omega Satter's web site where they want $102 USD for it.

I would think that B&H or Calumet would be able to provide it if not in stock. It is vital in my estimation.
 

foraker

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Messages
14
Location
Seattle, WA
Shooter
Large Format
After a bit more looking, I finally did mange to track down a couple of sources. Both Calumet and Adorama have the focusing extension for sale, however they both list it as an 'extension shaft' rather than as a 'focusing extension'.
Adorma: 79.95
Calumet: 82.99
 

Aggie

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
4,914
Location
So. Utah
Shooter
Multi Format
I got mine through Midwest Photo Exchange. I paid around 20 for it.
 

jp80874

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
3,488
Location
Bath, OH 442
Shooter
ULarge Format
Quote: Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob. JP

Lets see 50 cents worth of cloths line vs $80.00 part plus shipping. It has worked quite well for a year or so. I would encourage you to try it before you buy it.

John Powers
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom