Members
Latest member
JKFTL
Recent bookmarks

Blacknoise

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi there,

I've got a Rolleiflex new standard that apears to have an (aftermarket?) flash sync added, at least thats what I assume it is. It looks like a post with a spring loaded pin in the center, and 2 pins on the side which look as though they act as a bayonet of some sort. Does anyone know how I could get/make an adaptor so that I could fit standard PC flashes on it? and also how do sync for electronic flash? I assume the sync is for flashbulbs on this camera...

Thanks in advance :smile:

Rob

elekm

Shooter
35mm RF
There's no simple way to refit the camera for electronic flash., because you need to get into the shutter and alter the aftermarket flash sync so it synchronizes with electronic flash, rather than bulb flash. I don't know how to do this.

Afterward, you could find an accessory shoe from a camera bracket, drill some holes and bolt it to the side of the camera. You'll be limited to the size of the flash, because of the weight of the flash unit.

Rolleiflexes weren't mean to have a flash bolted to the side of the camera, and as you know the early cameras weren't intended for flash. The later flash-enabled cameras work best when attached to a flash bracket.

You could buy a later Yashica TLR that has a shoe on the side of the camera and use that.

OP
OP

Blacknoise

Shooter
Multi Format
I was thinking more for studio strobes. Will the shutter sync on some speeds? or could I make some sort of electronic delay mechanism that I could put between the flash and camera, have an electronic delay and fire the flash with a relay or an SCR?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Rob

OP
OP

Blacknoise

Shooter
Multi Format
The reason I'm asking is because I'll be hiring a studio out to shoot some fashion portraits, and I think it'd be cool to take a few rolls on the 'flex, I'll probably be using my Bronica SQ-B for most of it. I've found this schematic which seems to be able to provide a minimum delay of about 0.2ms, the delay I need should be about 20-30ms shouldn't it?

dpurdy

Shooter
8x10 Format
The flash synch you describe sounds like an old style that you find on some old LF lenses like Ektars. If the pins on the side stick out horizontally and if the whole synch post looks to measure about 1/8th inch then that is what it is. There are adapters that can be put on that to make it take a regular synch cord, I know because I have one on one of my LF lenses. If the synch is already attached to the camera it would be my guess that the camera has been used with flash already and if you get the adapter it will probably synch just fine at all speeds. Perhaps you can find one of the old type synch cords that is regular two prong on one end and the female end that fits down over that synch post and locks onto those pins on the side.
Dennis

John Koehrer

Shooter
Multi Format
Try Paramount(sp) for a sync cord, I think you're looking for the old ASA connection.

OP
OP

Blacknoise

Shooter
Multi Format
I think it is the asa one yeah, I'll take a few pics of it on my d****** later so someone here can confirm this. Anyone know somewhere in the UK that can sell me an asa-to-pc sync lead/adaptor?

Alrusphoto

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi there,

I've got a Rolleiflex new standard that apears to have an (aftermarket?) flash sync added, at least thats what I assume it is. It looks like a post with a spring loaded pin in the center, and 2 pins on the side which look as though they act as a bayonet of some sort. Does anyone know how I could get/make an adaptor so that I could fit standard PC flashes on it? and also how do sync for electronic flash? I assume the sync is for flashbulbs on this camera...

Thanks in advance :smile:

Rob

I think I may have a similar gadget on my early Rollei, just acquired. It is a chromium tube fixed to the side of the body. It has a small lever at the bottom which fits against the shutter release. Near the bottom of the tube there seems to be a two-pronged plug, (male). At the top is a screwed cap with (seemingly) an adjustable valve. When unscrewed it reveals a piston-like object. Could the gadget be a) an hydraulic shutter release. b) a synchronising unit or c) both of these? Any ideas would be appreciated. There is a logo showing a radient sun with 105 or IOS printed within its circumference.
Many Thanks. AR.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom