Rolleiflex 2.8 D Planar

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by davela, Feb 19, 2009.

1. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    After knocking around with a few of TLR's and medium format SLR's over the last few years I've decided the one camera that best meets my needs is the Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar model. Unfortunately, they are pricey (and some are real pricey), but I did snag a userish looking 2.8 D on eBay today for $389. I would have prefered an F or later model, but then again I'd prefer to be driving a BMW right now to my Corolla! I think this camera is about right for me. I just love the convenience and relatively small weight/bulk of a TLR for handheld work combined with the mechanical elegance of a Rollei. The Planar models seem to combine the old school TLR advantages with some more seriously engineered glass.

Here's the camera. If it needs a CLA so be it, because the price was good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220362725388&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

If anyone has used the 2.8 D and had good, bad, or indifferent results I'd be happy to hear them. Any tips would be appreciated too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think that is a relatively rare model. I don't think you are missing much from the F model except the removable finder and the meter. I don't think there is any difference in the optics. Looks like a great camera to me.

3. davela,

You did well. When you get it, shoot some film. Don't wait for the next Doo Dah Parade. [local humor]

Steve

4. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    looks nice. If I remember right, the D-Model still had the compur-rapid instead of the synchro-compur and the more rounded aperture with more blades. Will give nice bokeh. Some people also claim the compur-rapid more reliable. Optical quality will be as good as the F-Model.
    Have fun with the camera!
    Greetz, Benjamin

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great to me. Price is great!

Jeff

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's probably about the right price, fair to both you as the buyer & also the seller, it seems about average for it's age and condition, it should be an excellent camera. All the Planar's and Xenotar's are great performers so you should get some great images.

Have fun, Rolleiflex's are nice cameras to use.

Ian

7. hobbes

hobbes Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You made the right choice and the price was an awesome bargain :smile: I owned a 2.8E2 with Planar and now I use 2.8D with Xenotar ..both give excellent results. It may be hard to get the original strap thou. You may also think of buying lens covers and sun shade - the precious glass needs some protection. Have a lot of fun with this old guy!! :smile: Aw! one more thing - don't leave the camera directly exposed to frying sunlight during summer, the grease can get hot in the shutter and spill off, in effect you can jamm the camera.

8. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've won yourself a 2.8C, not a D.
    You can tell by the plastic shutter
    and flash cable locks -- those locks
    are unique to the C series. I shoot
    this camera a lot -- it's my Rolleiflex
    of choice when I'm not shooting a
    Tele Rolleiflex. You did well -- it's
    one of the great Rolleiflexes.

9. OP
    OP
    davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Congrad's !!! Great price too !!!
    I have CLA'd quite a few of these wonderfull camera's in my life time and I can tell you: the Rolleiflexes are great and reliable camera's.
    Bye the way there are no later models than the F exept for the G that had a short life span.

Just put a roll of film through it and enjoy.....

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
  12. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now, for fun, pick up a matching Rolleikin since your camera is set up for it. You may be amazed at what it will do with 35mm. I found one for $15.

13. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That is odd. I just bought a new Rolleiflex last year that is called and FX. Has the same Planar lens with modern multi coatings.

14. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.rollei.jp/e/pd/28FX.html