Rolleicord V part needed

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by shutterfinger, Aug 30, 2018.

1. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I need Washer item 15 which was missing from the camera I'm repairing.
    Rollei part number is 03605.00.0
    washer.jpg
    Best I can measure its 27.8mm OD, 27.4mm ID, .2mm thick.

I don't have the tools necessary to make one and am not willing to have one machined as its likely out of my budget.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Uh, your diameter numbers, 27.8 and 27.4, leave a thickness of .2mm. Very very thin. Where are you getting your numbers from?

Can you take photos of what you have? Having just stripped down a Roleicord V this evening, the part I think you are referencing has very different dimensions than your numbers. Maybe send me a message.

3. OP
    OP
    shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Its the washer that goes between the cocking/release lever and the face plate the shutter mounts to. Without it the cock/release lever, item 13, drags when the shutter and operating lever assembly are secured to the face plate item 17A. Item 13 should float.
    Its impossible to photograph something you don't have or measure it. Measurements are of the ring lip at the point where it comes through the operating lever and thickness of the face plate/lens frame.
    DSC_3095.jpg diagram 2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  4. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I think the brass washer shown here is what you want. I see where you got your measurements- you were measuring upper step on the dark flange.

The washer is not as tall as the flange step. That step is what indexes the shutter block on the lens board. So the washer itself is 0.2mm thick, allowing part of the flange to still project and center the shutter on the lens board. And the outer diameter of the washer isn't really very critical- it is, as you know, providing a smooth surface for the shutter cocking/release collar or whatever it is called to rotate smoothly.

The part I have has an inside diameter of ~25.86mm. The outside diameter of the upper step of the dark flange on the shutter body is ~25.77mm. Confirm this. If this looks like it would work, drop me a message and we'll figure out how to get one to you.

Oh, have you contacted Harry Fleenor? Your images are accurate and he'll be able to send you the right part from them, If he sells parts, etc. I don't have a real inventoary of spare parts, so if he can help you that'd be great. If not, contact me.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Being its a flat brass washer I might be able to cut one from the brass stock I have on hand.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Turns out I was assembling it wrong, sort of.:sad:
    The correct order of assembly on the rear of the lens is MXV lever, plastic retainer, aperture lever, cocking/trip lever, brass washer, lens carrier, retaining ring. The bearing looks like a retaining ring and does not need to be removed from the shutter.
    diagram 2.jpg
    1. shutter; 2. MXV lever/plastic retainer washer; 3. aperture lever, not visible; 4. cocking lever; 5. bearing; 6. washer; 7. retainer, not shown.
    I made 2 spacers from a scrap sheet of film, .007 each, to fit between the bearing and shutter case to get enough clearance between the shutter and lens carrier so the cocking lever would operate without binding.

Now there's a problem with the focusing and the retainer on the focus knob won't loosen. The left side of the camera has been hit and had some superficial damage that i was able to reform to acceptable but the right side moves out first followed by the left side when focusing. Nail polish remover is soaking on the focus knob.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 9:09 PM
  7. OP
    OP
    shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    had to remove the shims, reform the face plate. Its ready for doctor sledgehammer and nurse anvil.

8. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are we having fun yet?

The lens board on the V, Va, and Vb are pretty much the same, I think. I'd be really leery of being able to reform a lens board. So many points need to maintain position!

9. OP
    OP
    shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How does one remove the focus knob?
    Diagram shows it threaded but it refuses to budge. I've soaked it in nail polish remover and tried pliers and a rubber strap but no budge.
    DSC_3100.jpg focus knob.jpg
    focus knob and diagram.
    Do I need a blow torch or hacksaw?
    The plate with the filter bayonets was deformed as was the left focus arm, had to add .020 shim between the lens frame and focus arm to get the lens to sit level/even.
    cover.jpg DSC_3099.jpg
    cover and focus arm with shims (#2 flat washers measured to be the same thickness).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM
  10. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently had good luck soaking the focus knob outer ring with Tri-flo oil overnight. Another possibility is to soak it in ammonia for a bit- ammonia can break up aluminum oxidation. But I am not certain what ammonia will do to the finish of the part. Jammed parts like that are always a problem. Try putting the camera in the freezer for a few hours, soak it in boiling water maybe? The goal is to break apart the binding parts, so if you use heat let things cool down and contract before any wrenching.

For the mechanics of removal I use a rubber stopper to twist the retaining ring off. If needed I'll put a slip joint pliers around the main body, with a heavy cloth wrap to protect it. In one very difficult case I ended up destroying the pin in the knob that serves as the infinity stop. Turns out that the wire in a push pin is just slightly bigger in diameter than the original (.06mm or so) so I broke away the plastic of the push pin and drove it into place and it worked fine.

It's rare that Rollei makes a misstep but every now and then- the Rolleicord V focus knob is one, the Rolleiflex 2.8C plastic tabs is another misstep.

You can pretty much install the bayonet ring best as possible and then use it as the leverage item to reshape the front.

11. OP
    OP
    shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got a Rolleicord II fully disassembled. I thought this one would be a quicker fix, it isn't.
    I'll try some penetrating oil on the stuck knob if the focus is good with the current lens position (taking).
    Thanks for confirming I'm not missing something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.