Rollei SL66 Hand Grip/Experience?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Merg Ross, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had my Rollei SL66 system for over thirty years and love it. However, it has always been on a tripod, and now I have a project where I would like to use it hand held with 400 ASA films.

Has anyone had experience using this camera with any of the three grips: #208-930, 208-820 or 208-910?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

www.mergross.com

2. bennoj

bennoj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used a grip (I don't know the model number offhand) a couple of times when I had my SL66 and found it awkward, but I rarely was shooting subjects where a handholding was necessary, so perhaps I just never got the hang of it. I've since sold my SL66, but still have the grip lying around. PM me if you're interested.

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have the standard SL66 grip and it hardly leaves the camera !
    With the Rollei SL66 grip you can hold the SL and focus at the same time: great !

Peter

PS forget the cable release, I never used it and needed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  4. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use the grip and cable release and find that both make the camera much more manageable when used off of a tripod.

5. OP
    OP
    Merg Ross

Merg Ross Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Benno,

I appreciate your offer. I have one on the way, and will give it a try.

Thanks,
    Merg

6. OP
    OP
    Merg Ross

Merg Ross Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Peter and Mike, thank you for your responses. I will be trying out the early model, without the shoe or release. It will be used for special situations; my preference is for tripod use when possible.

7. hughck

hughck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The best grip found

Having used Rolleiflex 3.5f cameras as my main cameras and the SL66 as my special effects camera at weddings. I found a foot that attached to the SL66 that allowed me to quick mount the SL66 to the same pistol grip that is used on the Rolleiflex cameras. The pistol grip makes the SL easy to handle and since I could fire the camera with the trigger it made the camera very steady to hold. I don't know if you can find that part anywhere, but if you can go for it. I've been thinking now that I'm retired about selling my SL66 system. I have the SL66 with 80mm, 150mm, 80mm with compur shutter, pentaprism, spotmeter prism and 2-120/220 backs along with misc other gear. I may be willing to sell all or some of this gear, since I'm not getting any use of it. By the way all or most of it is in near perfect condition, as the camera was only used for 12 shots per wedding and the whole system has not had more than 3000-4000 pictures taken with it.

8. OP
    OP
    Merg Ross

Merg Ross Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the reply. That does sound like a good set-up you had for the two different Rollei cameras.

I have received the grip and it will work well for hand holding. Most of my work is from a tripod, so I have attached the grip to a quick release plate enabling me to work either way.

As to equipment, I am pretty well set, with two complete Rollei SL66 outfits.

Thanks again.

mergross.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.