Threads
Members
Latest member
Crit-ter85
Recent bookmarks

jim appleyard

Shooter
Multi Format
I remember reading about a couple of folks (can't remember where now) who mixed up Rodinal and added a small shot of HC-110 syrup to it. Anyone here ever try it and can you share dilutions, times and experiences? TIA, Jim

NikoSperi

Shooter
Multi Format
Ok, now you're just tryin to get me confused! And here I was testing to keep them apart... :confused:

john_s

Shooter
Medium Format
I suppose you would have to compare the mixture with:

Rodinal for half the time followed by HC-110 for half the time, and

HC-110 followed by Rodinal..........

Seriously, I have read of people who have done something like this with 2 dissimilar developers, but I don't remember the details. Maybe it was something like a full speed developer followed by a dilute compensating developer.

OP
OP

jim appleyard

Shooter
Multi Format
john_s said:
I suppose you would have to compare the mixture with:

Rodinal for half the time followed by HC-110 for half the time, and

HC-110 followed by Rodinal..........

Seriously, I have read of people who have done something like this with 2 dissimilar developers, but I don't remember the details. Maybe it was something like a full speed developer followed by a dilute compensating developer.

I've thought of this (having two separate devs in two separate baths), but what got me curious was simply adding a small amount of HC-110 to an already existing Rodinal mix. I know I saw it somewhere...

If no one here has tried it, I will try it like any Evil Scientist would!

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Al Doyle, one of the big subminiature gurus (the one who allegedly sells counterfeit Minolta 16 cassettes) recommends (for microfilm in pictorial applications) a developer he calls "mixer" that is exactly that -- Rodinal 1:100 plus a few drops (in a couple ounces of working solution) of HC-110 stock solution; he claims the HC-110 adds latitude and film speed while the Rodinal preserves accutance. I haven't tried it, after finding that HC-110 Dilution G and greatly reduced agitation worked just fine with my microfilm (Imagelink HQ and Copex Rapid).

My take on it is that mixing different developers will simply "muddy the water" -- you'll get a generic multi-agent developer instead of the distinctive appearance of Rodinal -- but I haven't actually tried it because I don't use Rodinal for anything else and so didn't have any around.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom