Rodinal Equivalent

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BobNewYork, Feb 10, 2009.

1. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm having to start again in the darkroom. I had several years supply of Rodinal but lost it in a fire. I'd standardized on Xtol and Rodinal. THe Xtol I can easily replace but I'd be grateful for some suggestions on what to use instead of Rodinal. I know Photog. Formulary used to have a Rodinal equivalent - but I can't find it on their web site. Any suggestions? :sad:

Thanks a lot

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is still available, or you can get the Calbe (formerly Orwo) RO9 probably from Freestle, this is the older version of Rodinal.

Ian

3. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the Rodinal name change only for Canada, or will we be seeing this sacrilege in the United States as well? :smile:

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is still made. I've not seen it in stock here in Canada so I don't know if it is still called Rodinal, but as far as I know, it is.

B&H seems to have it in stock. I imagine Adorama does, too.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, Rodinal has a new name in Canada, it's so memorable I can't remember it but there's thread about it :D

Ian

6. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freestyle has the A&O Agfa Rodinal that says it was Made in Germany. I got a bottle just last week.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is now called Blazinal in Canada

Calbe RO9 was distributed by J&C who tried to pass it of as Rodinal, Freestyle sell & distribute many Fotoimpex products in the US including some Calbe chemistry.

Ian

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can also make paRodinal (do a search to find the formula), which seems to be very similar to Rodinal, or maybe more like Rodinal+sulfite, but you can tweak the sulfite if you want crisper or softer grain. I've come to prefer it to Rodinal, and I once figured it was about 1/3 the cost, not that Rodinal is particularly expensive.

9. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. OP
    OP
    BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's great! Thanks for the responses. I'd assumed, (I know, I know !!!!) that with Agfa's demise so had gone Rodinal.

Thanks again.

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The religion of Rodinal is greater than Agfa.

13. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also homebrew your own version using chems from Formulary. The recipe is in the Darkroom Cookbook.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    David - you got me. Rodinal IS a religion - and I'm a believer!!

Jim - The Darkroom Cookbook is another replacement I need. Did you know that the ink in that book runs when it's hit by fire hoses!!

16. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is still made. I've not seen it in stock here in Canada so I don't know if it is still called Rodinal, but as far as I know, it is.
    Jim, Rodinal has a new name in Canada, it's so memorable I can't remember it but there's thread about it

That's strange -- I've found Rodinal everywhere (well, Winnipeg and Vancouver to be exact). I have two huge bottles of the stuff because I had forgotten I'd already bought it once before. Definitely a lifetime's worth! Not that that really matters to the OP, but you can still find it on the dusty darkroom chemicals shelf in some stores here in Canada.

17. OP
    OP
    BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dusty's good ! You have no idea how PO'd I was yesterday when I realized my Rodinal "stash" had gone.

Thanks for setting my mind at rest!

Bob

18. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

19. OP
    OP
    BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it's Freestyle - I don't look good in lab coats!
    Unfortunately I lost most of my negs so I'm truly starting over. In some respects that's kind of exciting - blank page and all that. I may just do a "Phoenix" documentary!!

Thanks Jim

20. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rodinal

Rodinal called Rodinal is still available from us and from Freestyle as far as I know.
    When stocks of the original product come to an end we will replace it by a product looking the same but called just: ADONAL.

There are currently two sources for Rodinal or Rodinal like Developers in Germany.

One is Calbe where we have our APH 09 made (older Rodinal recipe, not filled under protective gas thus not clear when you buy it).
    The other one is a former Agfa factory where Rodinal has always been and still is made exactly in the way you could buy it with Agfa, AgfaPhoto and A&O names on. This factory does not sell finished products anymore. We buy from them large amounts of Rodinal in big buckets (200 liters each) and fill it, put the sticker on, make out the safety sheet etc.

There are also other companies distributing Rodinal equivalents with various names.
    I cannot comment where they all buy it from. The best would be to ask the respective supplier where he gets his stuff made if you are in doubt.

Our bottles will say: "ADONAL produced to the original Rodinal recipe" and they will look exactly like the Rodinal bottles. They actually are original Rodinal bottles from the same factory so they are easy to detect for the consumer.

It´s a stupid situation with the trademark but there have been a few things happening in the background which led to the situation as it is now.

The current situation is not at all bad. There is competition and every filler uses his own names. The factory keeps on producing and the fightings about the name are eliminated by none of the players using it anymore.

The customer gets what he needs and prices as well as supply will be stable for the future.

Kind regards,

Mirko

21. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. OP
    OP
    BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mirko and 2F/2F - thank you both. I'm having a good day - now! I may just have to go out and celebrate! It's five-o-clock somewhere isn't it ??

23. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does Rodinal have a paper label? If so, just soak it off the bottle, dry it, and take it out to have color copies made. Voila—labels for your Blazinal or whatever!

24. jamusu

jamusu Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Which is the correct or first version ever made? The Agfa or the version made the Agfa or the Adolux APH 09 (same as the Calbe)? I currently use the Agfa, but was thinking of trying the Adolux APH 09 in the near future because it is based off of the original formula.

Which of the two versions are the best? I am seriously confused right now.

Jamusu.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  25. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adonal? Blazinol? How about BARFINOL?

26. OP
    OP
    BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aw, c'mon Jim - there are those of us devoted to it !!!