Rockland tintype kit...

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by palmettoexplorer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. palmettoexplorer

palmettoexplorer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought the kit a few days ago and just beginning to play with it. I asked a question a few days ago in here and I got another. One side of the plate you coat with chemical. When you pull the plates out of the pack one side has a thin sheet of paper attached...like wax paper. Is that the side that you coat with emulsion?

Second if I understand the directions right...the plates must be stored in a darkroom before loading into a film holder?

Third when you go to develop the plates after taking a picture...can you use your red safe light??

Thanks!

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey there

you peel the plastic off of the plate it is THAT side you coat with emulsion
    the plates will be light sensitive after you coat them with emulsion. as long as they are in
    a dark dry place you can store them anyplace the emulsion you coat them with is the same
    as the emulsion that is on photo paper ...
    the emulsion is like paper emulsion, not panchromatic film emulsion, a red light is perfect :smile:
    good luck !
    john

3. OP
    OP
    palmettoexplorer

palmettoexplorer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you know I I can use just a very low wattage(7) red led light bulb? I was told yes by a guy who does wetplates. But he didn’t know with this kit.

4. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would think you need a proper safelight for this material. Its NOT the same as a wet plate collodion emulsion.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    exactly !
    OP--
    think of it as photo paper, that is what it is ,, photo paper emulsion you are spreading on a piece of black metal,
    so if you have a safe light you use for photo paper use it with the AG+ emulsion and you are OK...

6. DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a low-wattage Feit 3.5 watt LED "party light" led bulb from Lowes. It is commonly available at many hardware stores and home improvement centers in the US. It is the one with the lower half made in red plastic and fits a standard US household screw outlet. I point it at the ceiling and keep it 4 feet or so from my work surface. I use it for the AGPlus emulsion, collodion, and graded enlarger paper and have never had a fogging issue. I've done dozens of plates with this bulb.

Best,

Don

67302144765095p.jpg