Rockland Tintype kit question

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Dmarkk, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Dmarkk

Dmarkk Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is a very newbie question I suppose. I've tried to Google an answer, but it just alludes me. What is the difference between the Tintype kit and just using Liquid Light on a metal plate? Are they comparable?

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi dmarkk
    the tintype kit is for making direct postives
    the blacks look off whitish and the black are plate... ( or clear on clear glass )
    you could print / enlarge/ contact print negatives on a black plate / or sheet of glass and just develop it in regular developer
    i have run across some photographers who didn't want to mess wtih the reversal developer and just print on the metal plates
    the images look like a darkroom print, side buy side you can tell them apart, the reversed/ tintype images on the metal have a different "look" to them

reversed glass plate images ( tintype developer ) have a weird greenish hue to them ...
    darkroom printed on glass in regular developer look like a regular print on glass no weird hue.

either way it is a lot of fun :smile:
    good luck !
    john

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.