Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

jackbaty

Shooter
Medium Format
On recent rolls from my IIIf, the right half of each frame is slightly darker than the left. I've attached a few examples. Do you think this is a shutter problem?

2013 Roll-038_07.jpg

2013 Roll-038_17.jpg

2013 Roll-038_23.jpg

leicarfcam

Shooter
Multi Format
Shutter capping. The closing curtain has started to close too quick..

The camera will need service and adjustment to fix it..

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
The closing curtain has started to close too quick..

In this case the complete photo would be lesser exposed. A partial, or a gradual difference indicates that there is a speed difference between both curtains.

leicarfcam

Shooter
Multi Format
In this case the complete photo would be lesser exposed. A partial, or a gradual difference indicates that there is a speed difference between both curtains.

That is known as shutter capping. One curtain is traveling faster than the other.. If the opening curtain is traveling faster it will cause release of the closing curtain too soon. If the opening curtain is traveling slower than the closing curtain the closing curtain will cause uneven exposure..

Either way the camera will need service.

Some people willl add tension to the slower curtain in order to speed it up but that can and usually does cause stressing of the spindle springs which can lead to breakage..

David Allen

Shooter
Med. Format RF
Have you had the camera long?

If not, it may be that the previous owner did not use it much.

Before you send it off for repair, it is worth firing at every shutter speed at least 10 times per day for several days. Then run another test roll. If the problem is cured or partly cured then thye problem lies in lack of use and regular firing throughout the shutter speed range will be something you need to do on a regular basis. If it does not help then you will need a CLA by a qualified Leica repairer.

In my case, exercising the shutter did work for me when I bought a Leica many years ago from a collector who had it for a long time purely for display.

Bests,

David
www.dsallen.de

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
On recent rolls from my IIIf, the right half of each frame is slightly darker than the left. I've attached a few examples. Do you think this is a shutter problem?

View attachment 76390

View attachment 76391

View attachment 76392

Absolutely. If the curtains are in good condition, a proper CLA should take care of it. That camera is at least 55-60 years old, right? Don't be surprised if it needs new curtains - in which case it will be good for another half century or so.:smile:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom