Reversing XP2 Super -- what first dev and time?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linaz0191
Recent bookmarks

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've just gotten a 35 mm stereo camera (Graflex Stereo Graphic) that I think will give better results than the Discovery Channel mirror-box stereo camera I already have, and lends itself to mounting frames for direct viewing in a homemade transmission viewer (like what was used for slide film in a Stereo Realist?).

Ektachrome is a big deal, though -- expensive to buy, touchy to process at home (yes, I have what I need to do it, but I'd like to practice up a bit).

I've understood XP2 Super makes decent slides (a little pink base tint, your eye will compensate on a B&W image), it's not too expensive and I have C-41 chemistry on hand. Question is, can anyone confirm a good first developer and the time (ideally at 40C, same as C-41)?

I've seen examples of Rodinal use for first dev on E-6 materials, at what seems a really long time (time, temp, and dilution suggest it was developed to completion). Would that be reasonable for first dev on XP2 reversal?

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
Last time i used XP2 Super i found the base mask quite dark, are you sure you want to use it for direct viewing?!

Terrence Brennan

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I used to reversal process XP-2 to make B&W white negatives, directly from colour negatives, so large quantities of B&W prints could be made, like for press kits.

This was in the days before the RA-4 neutral tone paper was available. The alternative was a B&W interpositive on a panchromatic film, such as Super-XX Pan, and a B&W internegative, to boost the contrast, on Professional Copy film. Dust was a major problem.

ARAIR, I would adjust the darkroom exposure on the XP-2 film, and then push-process it 4 stops (that's right, four stops) in standard E-6 chemistry, to get enough contrast to be able to make a decent print.

Shooter
Multi Format
I've understood XP2 Super makes decent slides (a little pink base tint, your eye will compensate on a B&W image),

People have processed XP2 Super (EI:100) in E6 process (albeit with extended first development) and reported success (slides with blue/cyan tint). Agfa-Gevaert reversal processing patent US6350563B1 gives the formula for a E6 first developer in case you want to mix a E6 first developer. Some people have used HC-110 dilution A as a cheap substitute for E6 first developer. For more details see: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threa...-6-transparencies-with-c-41-chemicals.160510/

You can also make B&W slides from XP2 Super using B&W reversal processing. If either Permanganate or Dichromate bleach is used in the reversal process, it will remove the pink tint giving very natural looking B&W slides.

OP
OP
Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
@Raghu Kuvempunagar If I were going to do B&W reversal, I'd use Fomapan/.EDU Ultra. I don't want to use either dichromate or permanganate (I'm on a septic tank); I'd probably use copper chloride/ammonia bleach to do that anyway. The idea here is that with a suitable first dev, then light exposure and standard C-41, you get a transparency.

Four stops push for first dev is a start; there are times for HC-110 processing of XP2 to silver image negatives that I can work from. I understood @Terrence Brennan was doing that for darkroom internegatives, however, which is a different starting point from "in the world" exposed film.

OP
OP
Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Did you look at CineStill first developers? They have "Daylight", "Dynamicchrome" and "Tungstenchrome" available separately.

Those are specifically for E-6, however, and are aimed at adjusting either total development (Dynamichrome, giving lower contrast than standard) or color balance (Tungstenchrome alters relative development of color layers to change the color response of the film). Color balance doesn't matter for XP-2, and since it's C-41 native, I'd need to start with testing to get the time right -- which I can do much more cheaply with common B&W developers (including ones I'd mix myself like Parodinal or D-72).

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom