Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

Jarvman

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi all, I'm experimenting with making collodion ambrotypes under an enlarger and so far have attempted the hybrid *hiss* approach by loading an inkjet positive in my negative carrier, with pretty decent results I must say! I understand that a silver gelatin positive has a much higher lever of detail though. I wanted to shoot some 35mm film, perhaps XPAN panoramics, reverse develop it and make ambrotypes in my enlarger. The benefit being not having to carry large format camera and darkroom every time I want to make a collodion landscape! Where should I start, what film and chemistry is available that'd suit the job? I'm completely new to this stuff. Some tips or recommendations would be great. Yes, I know it's cheating but exploring the possibilities are fun :tongue:

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
Hi all, I'm experimenting with making collodion ambrotypes under an enlarger and so far have attempted the hybrid *hiss* approach by loading an inkjet positive in my negative carrier, with pretty decent results I must say! I understand that a silver gelatin positive has a much higher lever of detail though. I wanted to shoot some 35mm film, perhaps XPAN panoramics, reverse develop it and make ambrotypes in my enlarger. The benefit being not having to carry large format camera and darkroom every time I want to make a collodion landscape! Where should I start, what film and chemistry is available that'd suit the job? I'm completely new to this stuff. Some tips or recommendations would be great. Yes, I know it's cheating but exploring the possibilities are fun :tongue:

First, I know you're not new to the site, but figured I would mention, the best thing I think to suggest would be doing a search, this has been covered in many other threads already with a lot of great info, at least the reversal part, and the new (Adox?) silvermax film would be great to use for reversal.

secondly, also check out the Collodion forum (also called Quinn something something...) just google "collodion forum" and it will probably come up. There's a lot of info there, however the site is confusing, there's actually a "new" and "old" version of the site, the "old guys" never migrated to the new site so it's actually better to join the old site, I joined both and try and post on the new one but don't often see a lot going on, try both, I know it's confusing but those guys really know their stuff.

Good luck!

jcc

Shooter
Multi Format

Basically, you want to print on collodion. Did I read that right?

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
quinn jacobson's website is collodion.com
they ( and places like bostick and sullivan who sell the chemistry ) might help you troubleshoot.

john

Last edited by a moderator:

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
You dont have to use specific B&W reversal film. If you send the film to a place liek http://www.dr5.com they will develop regular B&W negative film into B&W chrome film.

Yes but it seems the poster wants to do it HIMSELF and if he is doing it the traditional reversal way (since the DR5 is top secret) then it would be better to use a silver rich film which will give more detail in a reversal...

Last edited by a moderator:

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
stone can you please post where mirko the distributor &c adox films say that that film is DESIGNED for reversal processing ..

i have read the threads where mirko introduces this film and it says nowhere that it was designed specifically for reversal processing .. silver rich ( yes, like efke ) but specifically made for diapositives.

light guru is 100% correct, any film can be processed as a reversal film, kodak, ilford, efke/adox shanghai, lucky, agfa &c.

if the OP wants to experiment here is some info on reversal processing
(there was a url link here which no longer exists)
(2nd page also has recipes )

but if the OP wants to take the stress out of dealing with learning and getting the kinks out of 2 processes ( WP + reverso )
sending to DR5 might be kind of pricy, but they know their stuff and have been well known for years for this process ...
AND there is information on their website regarding exposure &c which might be helpful if doing it yourself ...

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
stone can you please post where mirko the distributor &c adox films say that that film is DESIGNED for reversal processing ..

i have read the threads where mirko introduces this film and it says nowhere that it was designed specifically for reversal processing .. silver rich ( yes, like efke ) but specifically made for diapositives.

light guru is 100% correct, any film can be processed as a reversal film, kodak, ilford, efke/adox shanghai, lucky, agfa &c.

if the OP wants to experiment here is some info on reversal processing
(there was a url link here which no longer exists)
(2nd page also has recipes )

but if the OP wants to take the stress out of dealing with learning and getting the kinks out of 2 processes ( WP + reverso )
sending to DR5 might be kind of pricy, but they know their stuff and have been well known for years for this process ...
AND there is information on their website regarding exposure &c which might be helpful if doing it yourself ...

Yes sorry, you're right I miss spoke

Dinesh

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes sorry, you're right I miss spoke

Perhaps it would be prudent for you to double check your responses before you post.

Remember you don't have to post in every thread you see.

Dinesh

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I remember Art Liem (gr82bart) was creating collodion plates during the enlarger stage.

I cannot remember how he did it, but perhaps there are some notations on APUG somewhere.

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
Perhaps it would be prudent for you to double check your responses before you post.

Remember you don't have to post in every thread you see.

Problem is more like I wouldn't have had to even say anything if people would stop arguing with what I say just to push their own agenda, the guy didn't ask "who do I go to, to make my film slides" he said how do I do it... So mentioning DR5 doesn't answer the question he asked AT ALL. But everyone likes to just disagree with me just because they seem to enjoy it, it seems.

So I was giving an example of a film that would be a good B&W film choice for reversal...

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Problem is more like I wouldn't have had to even say anything if people would stop arguing with what I say just to push their own agenda, the guy didn't ask "who do I go to, to make my film slides" he said how do I do it... So mentioning DR5 doesn't answer the question he asked AT ALL. But everyone likes to just disagree with me just because they seem to enjoy it, it seems.

So I was giving an example of a film that would be a good B&W film choice for reversal...

stone,

it isn't that people enjoy disagreeing with you, its that this information get filed away and indexed here on apug and for the world to read
and if you (or anyone else ) constantly post wrong information, or say things are so, when they are not, the poor weary traveller who is searching for information
will get slammed just by opinions, rather than truths ( the agenda ) >> its best to post truths since, we all search for the truth

===

sorry for detaining your thread jarvman

john

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
stone,

it isn't that people enjoy disagreeing with you, its that this information get filed away and indexed here on apug and for the world to read
and if you (or anyone else ) constantly post wrong information, or say things are so, when they are not, the poor weary traveller who is searching for information
will get slammed just by opinions, rather than truths ( the agenda ) >> its best to post truths since, we all search for the truth

===

sorry for detaining your thread jarvman

john

Read the whole thing, the poster asked how to do it and this other guy kept taking about DR5 which is a send away service, which has nothing to do with what the OP wants so HE's the one derailing and giving wrong info....

L Gebhardt

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I know this isn't the question that was asked, but I would shoot the film and develop as normal. Then I would try to make positive images from the negative film. You can use high contrast litho film contact printed with your originals. This would let you make traditional prints, and you could adjust the contrast to suit the collodion process. I haven't done this for collodion, but I have made positives in this manner and the quality is very high. I don't remember the litho film I was using, but I think it came from UltraFineOnline (But I doubt the exact film matters much).

If you still want to try reversal processing "The Darkroom Cookbook" has a whole chapter on it, and many recipes to try. I haven't tried any of it, so no recommendations - sorry.

Randy Moe

Shooter
Multi Format
I saw some 11x14 B&W film chromes this weekend, on my light table. No I didn't do them, nor do I know beans how to do it.

But they looked Awesome!

Go for it!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom