Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

negativefunk

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi all,

I got hold of a retina IIa. It is in good conditions, however there's a problem with the shutter. I was wondering if any of you experienced something alike.
Most of the times the shutter seems to run just fine for what I can tell (say, 6 times out of 7).
Occasionally, more frequently with low speeds but not exclusively, it does not completely close after the shot.

When this happens, if I try to advance the film, there is a resistance as if the winding mechanism "catched" with the shutter. Forcing a little bit (that I don't like), the winding mechanism advances, pulls the shutter open and releases it, and the camera is apparently ready for the next shot.

There is some little oil on the blades that could explain the fact that it does not always close, but the resistance that the film advance encounters worries me a bit

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
The camera needs an overhaul. Part of what you described sounds like a dirty shutter and part could be the interface between body and shutter. If you intend to use the camera (which is a good goal)… have it completely overhauled so you don’t keep getting frustrated.

paulbarden

Shooter
Large Format
This is what happens when a IIa hasn't been serviced in fifty years. Its got oil where it shouldn't be, and old grease that has gone hard. Get it serviced.

Last edited:
OP
OP

negativefunk

Shooter
Multi Format
Sounds like so - thanks. There's a place here where I can try to see if they service this model. I would have done it the same but was hoping that "shoots perfectly" in the description was a tad more honest :smile:

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
Paul is probably too modest and proud to tout his own Retina repair business but send your camera to him and he will have it humming along like new. He did a CLA on my Retina IIa and it is smoother and works better than ever!

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Sounds like so - thanks. There's a place here where I can try to see if they service this model. I would have done it the same but was hoping that "shoots perfectly" in the description was a tad more honest :smile:

Yes. Paul Barden. My Retina 1a just came back from its spa day with him and works as good as new!

JPD

Shooter
Medium Format
The now retired Retina repair expert Chris Sherlock also recommends Paul Barden. Every little part of the camera will be cleaned and re-assembled with the correct lubrication in the right places.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format

I fixed a similar problem on a Retina and a couple other leaf shutters with a few drops of solvent. I used Kodak movie film cleaner. I was given the camera, I was not going to spend $150 on a CLA. I was shocked that it worked.

I would make sure that this was a "I've got nothing to lose" situations. I've heard of people using cigarette lighter fluid as well.

__Brian

Shooter
35mm RF
If you want a reliable camera that can be depended on- have a pro do it.
Film is not cheap. If this is going to be a shooter, you want it to be dependable.
"Flood Cleaning" will work for a while, until it doesn't.
Never force the advance on a Retina: the cocking rack will be ruined. If you can get the part- it is a PINTA to replace.

albada

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
"Flood Cleaning" will work for a while, until it doesn't.

+1
I have cleaned shutter leaves with a cotton swab soaked with naphtha on several cameras. I found that this form of flood cleaning will last for several hours up to several months. Perhaps shorter in cool weather. And then the shutter starts sticking again.
+1 about forcing the advance. Never force the advance on any camera. If you do, you will pay the pro more to fix the original problem plus your damage.

JPD

Shooter
Medium Format
According to Chris Sherlock, the shutters with flash sync, like this one, have a plastic part that is sensitive to solvents, so a "flood cleaning" may do more harm than good.

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Hi all,

I got hold of a retina IIa. It is in good conditions, however there's a problem with the shutter. I was wondering if any of you experienced something alike.
Most of the times the shutter seems to run just fine for what I can tell (say, 6 times out of 7).
Occasionally, more frequently with low speeds but not exclusively, it does not completely close after the shot.

When this happens, if I try to advance the film, there is a resistance as if the winding mechanism "catched" with the shutter. Forcing a little bit (that I don't like), the winding mechanism advances, pulls the shutter open and releases it, and the camera is apparently ready for the next shot.

There is some little oil on the blades that could explain the fact that it does not always close, but the resistance that the film advance encounters worries me a bit

the shutter has probably gummed up and needs to be cleaned. if cameras are not being used for a long time, this is a typical problem. after CLA, they'll be like new.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom