Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swededreams
Recent bookmarks

removed-user-1

Looks like I am about to get more serious about 35mm photography! Today I was given a Nikon F3 body, which came off a slide duplicator that was no longer in use. The whole thing was going to be thrown away because the motor won't fire.

It has the DW-4 6x viewfinder without an eyecup, the MD-4 motor, and an electronic remote release cord. Somehow the back hinge got detached from the rest of the back; I've super-glued this, we'll see if it holds. The camera itself is working great so far as I can tell, and has very little wear. I'd call the condition of the body excellent+. I will run some film through it tomorrow.

The motor seems to have suffered a little corrosion damage; anybody have experience or suggestions about getting it working? I tried cleaning the contacts and put in some fresh batteries but got nothing.

fschifano

Shooter
Multi Format
Any suggestions? Detach the motor drive and use the camera without. Darn thing is too big and heavy anyway.

Ektagraphic

Shooter
Medium Format
I second that. Use the camera without the motor. Great camera!

Colin Corneau

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Heavy is relative...slung that around my shoulder for many years.

It's a solid classic camera. Repairs won't be hard to come by for it.

RidingWaves

Shooter
35mm RF
And a MD-4 is stupid cheap to find if you want another. I got one in nearly new conditon for 37 dollars. I'd look to replace that back first.

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
Absolutely replace the back-I wouldn't trust the glue long term. I second getting another motor if it's something you want. Of course, the usual warnings about deteriorated seals and possible need for a CLA apply. If you take the motor off, look in the end of the motor's battery compartment for the cap that goes to the rewind drive hole in the body. You'll need it, and they're not cheap. If it's not there, you can tape a dime over the opening.

2F/2F

Shooter
Multi Format
Ah...good score.

I would love to be able to grab the Leica M1 in my school's PR office. It has spent its entire life on a copy stand...multiple lens turret and all. The stand itself might even be a Leitz. It has not been used in years. It is sitting in the corner doing nothing. It would make a fine zone focus camera for certain things!

John_Nikon_F

Shooter
Multi Format
Get the back replaced, pop a CR 1/3N into the battery chamber, make sure the MD port cap is installed (although, my tech says it's not that necessary, unlike the O-C key on the F2's), load up your favorite roll of film, then pop your favorite lens on, and go shoot.

-J

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
Ah...good score.

I would love to be able to grab the Leica M1 in my school's PR office. It has spent its entire life on a copy stand...multiple lens turret and all. The stand itself might even be a Leitz. It has not been used in years. It is sitting in the corner doing nothing. It would make a fine zone focus camera for certain things!

A great shoot-from-the-hip camera.:wink:
See if you can get it declared surplus and make an offer.:smile:

OP
OP

removed-user-1

I do have the motor drive contact cover - it was actually in the battery holder, in the proper storage place. Tried to work on the motor some more, this morning, but it's dead; I think I'll just skip it. When I was a photo student I always wanted one of these cameras!

goamules

Shooter
Large Format
Ah...good score.

Swap it out for a Fed or Zorki when no one is around!

Hamster

Shooter
Med. Format Pan
Don't use super glue for the back hinge, it is brittle.

Use Epoxy adhesive instead, it is strong enough to Bond aircraft wings to fusalage.

Slightly roughen the bonding surfaces with sand paper to increase bonding area, then apply the adhesive as instructed on the package.

OP
OP

removed-user-1

I used a gel-based glue which is very close to epoxy (I don't remember the name), not actual superglue, and I've had enormous success with this stuff on ceramics and other things that superglue doesn't work well on. I was just using the generic term. At any rate I do intend to replace the back ASAP.

My Dad is a retired electronics tech; I found a technical manual for the motor drive, and he and I are going to give repairing it a go, just for fun.

Anybody know where I can get an eyecup for the DW-4???

John_Nikon_F

Shooter
Multi Format
Keep your eyes on KEH... Sometimes I've seen stuff like that listed. Anyway, enjoy the F3...

-J

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom