Removing slides from mounts?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Moopheus, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Moopheus

Moopheus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Specifically cardboard mounts. I want to get some old slides out of their mounts to scan them. Is it possible to do this without destroying the slide? Nowadays I don't get my slides mounted.

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe that GEPE makes a tool for this....I think that it is for plastic mounts only though

3. David Brown

David Brown Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. If it's a cardboard mount, just separate the two halves with a knife or razor blade carefully. Now, if you want them put back in the mount, that might or might not be a problem - you may just need new mounts, but they aren't that expensive.

What type of scanner? Most film scanners have provisions for mounted slides.

4. slumry

slumry Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fwiw, Gepe makes a anitnewton glass slide mount that is easy to use and can be reused over and over again. I have been scanning a lot of slides on my Nikon 9000 and many just fall out of the paper mount. I use the Gepe to scan them and they are as good as they can get. You can buy a mounting tweezer to make the whole process easier.

5. OP
    OP
    Moopheus

Moopheus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It does, but I have a 3-rd party glass mount (the Betterscanning mount) that is much better. But the film has to be taped directly to it.

6. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I routinely take out of paper mounts, old slides I want to scan. If they need to be in mounts afterward, I put them in Pakon plastic mounts, which are cheap and easy to use. The Pakon plastic mounts are more durable than the plastic mounts and are less likely to jam in projectors.

In general, you just start at a corner and with your fingernail, peel the paper apart. The slide is not "glued" to anything, but rests in a depression in the mount. You will not harm the slide-film by peeling away the paper mount.

7. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would use a razor blade and slice the top along any type then fold back and pull out the slide. Once I was done I would tape the slide back in its mount or use a new plastic mount.

8. OP
    OP
    Moopheus

Moopheus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That sounds like a good idea, probably easier to deal with than loose individual frames.