RB67 - What are the pictures going to look like?????

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by nyoung, Feb 19, 2009.

1. nyoung

nyoung Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pulled off the highway to get some sunset shots with my RB.

Had the 50mm on it, didn't like the frame from my position, slapped the 180 on the front and went to shooting - must hurry, rapidly changing light etc. etc.

Now I realize that I forgot to pull the lens adapter off the 50 and put it on the 180 before I mounted it (I'm shooting old lenses on a Pro-SD body).

So, what are the pictures going to look like?

2. Gerry M

Gerry M Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hope you slid the dark slide in ( I didn't!).

3. OP
    OP
    nyoung

nyoung Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dark slide was in for the lens changing operation. I tend to replace the dark slide every time I change anything as I'm just learning this camera. Plus, I haven't figured out a comfortable place to keep if I'm not actually shooting.

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lens adapter? You mean the ring thing? That won't affect your results at all. Also, to remove the lenses, the shutter must be cocked, so, you're fine whether or not the darkslide was in.

5. OP
    OP
    nyoung

nyoung Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, the ring thing. Everything appeared and sounded like it worked OK. So why bother with the ring in the first place?

6. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Note that RB67 magazines have a slot at the rear to hold the dark slide while shooting.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The 'ring thing' just aids the line up. It works fine without it but it is good practice to use it.

As for the dark slide, I never use mine. It is possible to fire the shutter with the dark slide in almost all the way. I can change films without it and, as has been mentioned, you can only change lenses with the shutter cocked which means that the mirror is down and the moving light baffle is blocking the film anyway.

The only time I would use the darkslide is to swap films half way through a roll. It hasn't happened for me yet.

Steve.

8. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Dark Slide

The dark slide is, IMO, God's greatest gift to film shooters.

While I guess it is possible to have mishaps with forgetting it is almost completely in, I have never once had that problem; just be sure you really slap it in.

As for where to put it when you're shooting, with the exception of the Polaroid backs, which have their own dedicated slots to hold the slide, I just stick it down vertically into the space between the cocking lever and the right-hand side of the body.

That was, I thought, where everyone put them, no? I assumed that space was actually designed and the manual stated to put it there.

As for avoiding polaroid mishaps with dark-slide still in. I just wrote myself a nasty note on the polaroid-slide holder that you will see unless the dark-sllide is inserted there. Works like a charm!

9. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I simply never thought of that; thank you for the tip.

10. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe the dark slide has to be in and shutter cocked to remove a lens... In fact, Hulk Hogen couldn't remove a lens without those two things being done...

11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But I can.
    The darkslide has no effect on changing lenses.
    Changing backs, yes.

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends which RB and back you are using. Some versions and backs have pretty thorough interlocks, but I have also seen some early models with which you can get by with or without a darkslide.

Anyway, one nice feature of all the RBs, as far as I know them, is that you cannot [easily] get the lens off without cocking the shutter and having the mirror down. This virtually eliminates the possibility of a hassie jam. Almost any situation can be resolved simply by popping the shutter and recocking.

13. AdClem

AdClem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Left side, on mine.

14. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah left on mine too. Thats where Mamiya put the dark slide holder on the ProS and newer bodies.

15. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Sorry guys, you are right, errr, I mean left is right :smile:

Don't know why I thunk something else, I just shot a job with an RB Wednesday of last week. :blink:

16. AdClem

AdClem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you mean my left, or your left? :wink:

17. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No—back, and to the left.