RB67 Multi Angle Grip Spacer?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EdColorado, Mar 3, 2009.

1. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking about getting a multi angle grip for use with my RB67 and have seen that they come with a "spacer". Can anyone tell me what the spacer is for? I see grips for sale that no longer have the spacer but I'm not sure if I really need it or not.

Thanks a lot,

Ed

2. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The spacer (I think!) is a square plate that fits over the two prongs on the grip that fit into the two holes on the bottom of your RB next to the tripod socket. I think the holes in the base of the mamiya TLRs are wider, so the grip (which also fits the TLRs) will go into a snug fit into the base. On the RB, the holes are narrower, so the plate fits over the two prongs and leaves two smaller spring-loaded prongs which fit into the base of the RB - sorry this is a bit difficult to explain. The upshot is that if you have a multi-angle grip, the spacer should give a better fit to the RB. However, I have a multi-angle grip and no spacer, and it's fine on my RB. If you really feel you need one, all you need is a thin piece of aluminium plate and drill two holes and there you are, however I've never felt the need for this.

3. OP
    OP
    EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Xtolsniffer, my grip is on the way! :smile:

4. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you get a grip with a spacer, let me know exactly what it does, all I know is that my RB works without it, so I'd be intrigued to find out the benefit!

5. OP
    OP
    EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the one I ordered is missing the spacer. I had a choice of no spacer or no flash shoe and decided I wanted the flash shoe more...