RB67 Light Leak

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Justin Roxbrough, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Justin Roxbrough

Justin Roxbrough Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey everyone, I bought myself a second RB67 as a christmas present. The light seals were old so I replaced them, but when I ran some film through it and I'm still getting some nasty light leaks.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it possible this happened in development? Thanks all!

leak.jpg

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Show us the negatives please.
    Which seals did you change?
    Which model (Pro, Pro-S, Pro-SD)?

3. OP
    OP
    Justin Roxbrough

Justin Roxbrough Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I changed all the body and back seals.
    It's a Pro
    Here are the negatives:

Neg.1.jpg Neg.2.jpg

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Its likely the roll film holder darkslide slot and/or the top plate.
    Place the negative over the film gate in the same orientation as it was when exposed, top of image at the bottom of the frame with left-right reversed. The leak will show you where to look.
    Second will be the mirror to viewfinder seals. To check this lock the mirror up, take the camera into total darkness, shine a bright light along the edges of the mirror from inside the body (film holder removed) while observing the viewfinder opening.

5. godzilla49

godzilla49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, Justin! The RB cameras are great, just got one myself about a month ago, what a tank!

Did you take any shots with the back rotated to landscape? Not that I’m overly familiar with this system, but I would think that if you are getting the same or similar leaks with the back in both landscape and portrait, then suspect the seals on the back itself, maybe the seals on the rotating adapter. You can also check for light leaks in the bellows. Camera on a tripod, remove the lens, and use a small, bright flashlight. Take it into a dark room, and with the viewfinder closed and the room lights off, get your eye close to the lens mount, looking into the bellows, while you move the flashlight held close to the bellows. If there are any leaks, they should stand out plainly.

On the 6x4.5 Pro back I have, I am getting a consistent leak along the right third of the negative with the back in portrait. In my case, I didn’t take pics in landscape of subjects that would show the same leak, so the next roll will be of a suitable subject specifically to determine any leaks. As I just signed up for this forum today, I have not searched for other threads in regards to this issue, however, I’m sure there is a wealth of information from members on this topic.

I will say, Fix Old Cameras on YouTube has concise videos on replacement of light seals, also an excellent video in the repair of bellows on a Mamiya 6 or 7, I believe.

Have fun with your camera, it’s a great system! Keep shooting!

6. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had an old Pro unit for years and found the only light leaks I had were caused by me not being careful on film loads. It was just a learning curve coming from 35mm closed cartridge film not having any issues to threaded film spools loading and unloading in open outdoor light. Once I paid more attention to my issue I never encountered the problem again. I now use a ProSD and carried the same basic procedure with Pro film loading to the new unit. Just a thought if you can recall where and how you loaded the film being new to the platform.

7. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had problems with light leaks with RB backs. I tightened all the little screws holding the back's face plate and the problem was solved.

8. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The image was made in portrait mode corrrect?

The leak is on the bottom of the image which seems like it would be on the top of the camera. Check the hinge end of the film back and the light seals of the corresponding edge of the rotating adapter. Check that the rotating adapter is firmly clamped to the body. Check that the film back slide locks are fully engaged and seated.

Doesn’t seem to me to be related to the dark slide.

9. OP
    OP
    Justin Roxbrough

Justin Roxbrough Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I took the camera into my darkroom and did a flashlight test. I did find a light leak in the body (see attached photo). This seems to make sense for where the light leaks are on the negative. Any ideas on how seal this? Thanks all again!!

IMG_0585.jpg IMG_0586.jpg

10. Questor84

Questor84 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like that is at the rotating adapter. Did you replace the light seals on both sides of the adapter? Did you buy a kit or use another material. Jon Goodman in Texas has great kits for all the seals. When I got my RB67 ProS it was in great shape - almost like new but all the seals were deteriorated especially on the film back and the rotating adapter. Check the seals where they match with camera.

11. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In addition to post 10 check the mount posts for looseness and the adapter for bends or warpage.

12. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Seems you've had so many problems with this camera in the past few months. You say its been serviced recently, yet you found a spring missing, the internal seals not replaced. Why haven't you contacted the service people yet? Id be livid instead of trying DIY repairs.

When you had the side opened for the spring issue, did you install the internal seals that were missing?
    The extra panel on that side has inside flap seals... did you install them?
    On the rotating back, seals are all new?
    What material did you use for seals?

on the body where the top left pin comes out, it has a small square on it to cover the hole it comes out of... is it still there?

I wish you posted a close up of that circled leak in pic 1. TO me it looks like its outside of the rotating back's seal. Rotate the back about 45deg so you can see the pin in the upper left corner... light leaking there?

EDIT: I looked at a body I have here... at that point with the rotating back removed... that is exactly where a large screw head registers with the body and just inside the camera at that point is the mirror control arm slot. If your light leak is there then you are missing parts, or compartment seals.

Do your light leak test again both from the front and rear, plus try doing just the reverse... look inside while shining the light from the outside of the body? Do it with the bellows extended and try shining the light in at the focusing rack and front standard on the left while examining the rotating back and mirror slot area? In your first pic it looks like the mirror slot is leaking.

Id really like to see that camera in my hand.. its so hard to tell whats going on.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017