RB67 fell of tripod

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by AlNY, Mar 1, 2018.

1. AlNY

AlNY Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi everybody.

Last night my RB67 fell about 12" on to a wooden floor, denying a 180mm lens on the filter ring. The shutter is dead. The viewfinder popped off and needs replacement.

The camera otherwise seems find. Is there any specific area I should check for damage.

2. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    More importantly, how's the floor?

3. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    owwwwwwwchhhhhh. good thing no kids were under it.

12" doesnt sound like a big fall but you say the shutter is shot? that could just be a slipped spring inside.

the view finder got damaged too? was it a colapsable wlf? did the screws of the vf mount shear off?

the thing that should be checked is the front standard if its bent out of square.

check the lens mount for bent parts and id check its alignment to be sure its not off its axis.

otherwise rbs are very tough. more than likely im almost sure it will all be fine.

4. PhxMedFormatPhotog

PhxMedFormatPhotog Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! Sorry to hear that. I can't speak from having experienced anything happening to mine, but they are built like tanks, so likely nothing else internally damaged in a 12" fall. Try other lenses looking through with the back off to make sure you are getting the mirror moving and shutter opening and for the correct times, but otherwise, hopefully all is good. Best of luck.

5. OP
    OP
    AlNY

AlNY Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For real. My wife heard the thud upstairs.

6. OP
    OP
    AlNY

AlNY Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It was a collapsible WLF. No longer closed. ound a replacement. Focus track seems good. Mount seems good. My heart jumped out of my chest as I saw it fall, seemingly in slow motion.

I'm going to get a second lens. The repair cost is about $150 more than a replacement at KEH.

7. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    pm me about the lens?

i can (magine the slow motion....

oooooooooooooooooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu bam!

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and the Caltech Seismological Laboratory recorded a magnitude 4.2 event.

I'd check for deformed mount and focusing rails; possible mirror misalignment.

9. Neil Grant

Neil Grant Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last night my RB67 fell about 12" on to a wooden floor, denying a 180mm lens on the filter ring. The shutter is dead. The viewfinder popped off and needs replacement.

The camera otherwise seems find. Is there any specific area I should check for damage.[/QUOTE]

...that almost happened to mine. Carrying it on a tripod against my shoulder...the head started to loosen from the base...concrete surface, 37mm lens - it would have gone with a hell of a bang. The camera was from the early 80's (student days) and has only ever had the occasional outing - so it was spotless. Would have been a terrible shame to have wriiten it off. Very lucky that I could 'feel' something was wrong before it was too late.

10. harlequin

harlequin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Neil,

Do not feel badly, I have dropped one from 4.5ft and have witnessed several
    RB67 dropped for a variety of reasons.....2 of which from broken or deteriorated 3/8 to 1/4 x20 adaptor failure, (Brass is Better!!)

In all instances, the cameras were operational after the fall, the cosmetics, prisms and some lenses
    did not fare as well, however do the following:

A) Turn camera without lens upside down
    B) Slowly focus rack all the way out slowly and watch to see that it moves parallel to body mount
    C) In almost always takes the focusing rack and skips a gear or two....
    D) If so, a competent camera repair person can "GET YOU BACK ON TRACK" pun intended.
    E) I Still have damaged RB67 body on bookshelf to remind myself to be careful on "Location" with any equipment.

Not the end of the world as replacement bodies are reasonable cost in Area76!
    Keep shooting, this is the cost of becoming a better medium format photographer....

and get a lottery ticket...

Harlequin...

11. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I still use those Bogen/Manfrotto heads with the hex plates... which come in 1/4" and 3/8". Sooooo nice, and they'll hold my 4x5 Cambo. Found a Chinese company that makes both size plates affordably, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.