Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
Just got an RB, everything except the lens, my other MF cameras are a 4x5 with a roll back and a 150mm lens, and a Holga. Long story short, the seller's 90mm lens had a shutter issue so I skipped it.

The 90mm is the only one I've looked through and it was quite stunning. Loved the separation it showed on the ground glass wide open.

I'm looking at a 65 or 90 for the first lens then maybe a 180 or 210 later.

One concern I have about the 65 is losing the depth of field separation that was so evident with the 90.

What are your thoughts?

Are there other questions I should be asking?

keithwms

Shooter
Multi Format
There are two standard first lenses one typically gets with an RB... the 90 or the 127. I have both and slightly prefer the 127... and I'd say go for the KL if you can manage that. In any case go ahead and get a hood.

The 65 is also a favourite of mine. Look, you will want 'em all eventually :wink: Just take a long hard look at the prices of the newest RB lenses versus the oldies and I think you will conclude that the prices are so low that it's worthwhile to hold out for the newer (KL) ones.

Other questions you should ask: should I get a 6x8 back? (yes) How about a metering prism? (yes) How about extension tubes? (yes) What magnifications can I get with the tubes? (amazing) Can I shoot sheet film with the RB? (yes)...

OP
OP
markbarendt

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
What's the difference with the KL?

keithwms

Shooter
Multi Format
The KLs are the newest versions, akin to the newest RZ lenses (except for the 50 uld). The KLs have the most advanced coatings and hence usually offer optimal contrast. Somebody will surely say "I get great results with a pre-C Rb lens" ....sure... it depends how important contrast is to you and how you will use the camera. But again, why not get the newest designs, with prices being what they are....

The ultimate RB lenses are the KL apo lenses. The 210 is just spectacular. The RB 50 is the only lens that disappointed me. I bought an RZ specifically for the 50 uld after that.

Shooter
Medium Format
I do have a 90mm K/L that I've been trying to sell on ebay for the past few weeks, if you so happen to be interested...
Personally I've never used any of the C or pre-C lenses, I always bought the K/Ls because the difference in price is really quite a moot point when you consider the savings you're getting when you buy used instead of new.

OP
OP
markbarendt

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks guys,

Keith, I used to be into having all the lenses but found that having lens choices during a shoot distracts me and does not improve my work. 2 lenses will probably make my whole set; 1 for normal work and 1 for portraits.

thisismyname09, as nice as the wife is this camera/lens wasn't even on the radar for our budget. For now I'm going to go cheap and get an older lens.

I do agree with both of you the prices are great for buyers right now.

paul ron

Shooter
Medium Format
At the price of lenses today, you can get all of em at the price of what one new lens would have cost you 10 or 15 years ago. In fact prices are so low you can throw em away if they break on ya. Buy em by the 6 pack.

Loss of DOF 65 vs 90? You're comparing a semi wide to a normal lens. Besides, shoot wide open n you'll get your separation, no matter which lens you are using. Learn to master selective focusing, use the preview more often.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
markbarendt

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
Update, as an indication of how cheap stuff is I found an older pre-C 90mm in great shape for $76 including the shipping.

Now I need to save my pennies, maybe for a 65 K/L.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom