Questionable expired 70mm Konica films on ebay

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by mtjade2007, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I saw on Craigslist of such expired 70 mm Konica films a few days ago: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pho/1022326030.html
    Obviously it says the films have not been in the fridge for many years. I called and talked to the seller. I was told that he sold all of it and there were about 700 rolls.

I went to eBay immediately and sure enough there is one seller selling such films: http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Rolls-70mm-x-...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

The seller says the film has been stored in a freezer since new. Wow! That is many years of storage difference (in and not in a freezer). Of course there is no way I can tell if these are the same films. But the seller on the Craigslist is in SF Bay Area. The ebay seller is in Northbay of California. It's sure close enough. If you are looking for the 70 mm films on ebay now you be the judge.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Hey, do you think you could ask the original seller what the emulsion batch is? The picture isn't high-res. enough, but original seller probably still has the original JPG file. Post it here and I'll ask the guy on Ebay the same question. And then we can know for certain if he is full of sh it.

It's fun busting bad guys!

3. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gee. 4 rolls of the same odd-lot film from the San Francisco area within days. You do the math.

They're both expiry 10/2007 from lot/batch 124. This can be seen in both images.

4. OP
    OP
    mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The original seller was quite honest about the storage history of the films and he only asked for $1 a roll. He told me he was pretty sure that he had sold all of them. He said he had about 700 rolls. I don't think he would remember about the batch numbers on the box unless he still has some rolls to look at. I only wanted a few rolls to play with since it was only $1 a roll. I will not want to touch those that are on eBay now.

5. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could also be some hard-up opportunist who lost a Silly Valley job found the $1/per craigslist deal and thought, "OOOOOH EBAY BONANZA" and became a film flipper. If so, then the short-term RoI might be useful for about two or three lots of 4, tops, but after that it might be more of a liability. If so, schadenfreude!