Question on rolling film onto reel

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by lorirfrommontana, Feb 2, 2009.

1. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All,
    I've been busy practicing rolling a wasted roll of 35mm film onto the reel. I've gotten so I can do it with my eyes closed! I have the ss reels with the spring clip on the inside. I cliped off the thinner leader film and roll it all onto the reel. It dosn't all fit? Should I cut more off the beginning? I figured that there was more that isn't pictures on the beginning and the end. Also, this is only 24 exp. What do I do with 36 exp? Sorry for the newbie questions!
    Lori

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems like you must have skipped some grooves when you loaded the film onto the reel. A 35mm SS reel should be fine for 36, 37 exposures, so to have a 24 exposure roll not fitting would suggest that somehow you have missed some grooves. Then again, maybe it's not missing by a lot, so cutting a bit more off the beginning may sort you out.

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I roll on 36 exp TMax into a standard S/S reel with no problem. Well, sometimes I lose track of things and the last loop ends up on the one just inward. But as to room on the reel, it's there.

Every half turn try sliding the film in and out. There should be about a 1/4" of slack/movement. If the film is in there tight then it is cinched into the reel and you need to go back, loosen it and then continue. Seems like a pain but it works.

4. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Lori,

There are SS 35mm reels made specifically for shorter lengths of film rather than the usual 36 exposure ones. Perhaps you have one of those. Even skipping a groove or two, the 24 exposure film should fit onto a standard 36 exposure 35mm reel with room left over. About how much excess were you left with?

Konical

5. OP
    OP
    lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not missing any grooves and there is about 6 inches left over. It must be made for shorter lengths of film that would explain the left over. Oh well, I'm getting the practice anyway. I have 4 tanks and 7 more used reels comming so hopefully those will be the right size. I'll just be sure to separate this one so I don't make the mistake of useing it with a 36 exp roll! I am beginning to love the sound of the UPS truck! Always some cool new darkroom or photography equipment! Thank you for your help all. I was just getting quite frustrated! Lori

6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

7. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6 inches is 4 exposures ... sounds like you may have a 20 exposure reel.

In the 60's and before the short length of 35mm was 20 exposures. I don't know when it changed to 24 exposures. If it really is a 20 exposure reel it is pretty useless unless you are into loading bulk film.

If you can, get hold of some Hewes stainless steel reels - they really do load a lot more easily than the common Japanese spring-clip style.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider how much film you roll onto the take up spool in the camera. Insert into spool nad you have almost 6"--- I always advance enough film to wrap around the spool again, so 7-8" won't cut into my priceless images
    When yo do process some film, notice what's blank at the leader, make a mental note & clip away.

9. OP
    OP
    lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got 5 more reels in the mail today. They are like you all said, plenty of room to spool a 36 exposure of film on. The one I had must have been for a short roll. I did get lots of practice with it though and can't wait to finish the roll of film on my camera so I can develop it! Thanks for all your help. I guess I just had to wait a day to find out my answer. I can sure be impatient!
    Lori

10. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So can we all. You're welcome.