Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

MattVann

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi everyone.
I am in the process of selling off a big portion of my polaroid and 35mm stuff so i can focus more on medium format.I am looking in to getting the Mamiya rb67 sd from KEH.com.I have done a good amount of research on the camera but for some reason can figure out how one would go about setting the asa on the camera.Maybe i am missing something but how does that work haha.Also on a side note.Do i have to have a paid subsciption to post in the for sale section?

Shooter
Multi Format
If you have a light meter, you set the ISO on the meter which takes film speed into account. Then meter and adjust exposure accordingly. And, yes, I believe the classifieds are for paying subscribers only.

KennyMark

Shooter
Multi Format
A) RB67s have no meter, unless you have one of the two prisms that have a CdS meter in them. One is the Chimney style and the other is one of the three or four different Prism finders. In each case however, you need to manually set the shutter speed and aperture, it's not indexed. If you desire more modern metering-settings coupling, I'd suggest looking at the RZ67. In addition to that, there are two other advantages over the RB; it is lighter weight, and it has a single lever for cocking the shutter/resetting the mirror and advancing the film, compared with two levers for the same steps on an RB. I still make inadvertent multiple exposures with my RB sometimes when I'm in a hurry and forget to wind the lever on the film back ("stupid, stupid, stupid...")

B) yes, only members are allowed to post items for sale in the classifieds. There might be a minimum length of time as a member requirement too. Or, maybe that's on LFF, I can't recall.

C) Welcome aboard by the way...

nwilkins

Shooter
Medium Format
an RB67 Pro SD prevents accidental double exposure, though one of the earlier models (whichever one KennyMark has I guess) does not.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
There are later metering finders like the PD magnifying chimney finder that use silicon photo cells for the meter.

The Pro-S and Pro-SD both offer double-exposure protection, if you use them with either Pro-S or Pro-SD backs.

All the backs have a spot at the back to put the end of a film box in - so that is sort of like setting the ISO.

nwilkins

Shooter
Medium Format
and don't be scared off by the lack of meter - just get a handheld incident meter and you'll be good to go for most situations - it's very easy.

KennyMark

Shooter
Multi Format
There are later metering finders like the PD magnifying chimney finder that use silicon photo cells for the meter.

The Pro-S and Pro-SD both offer double-exposure protection, if you use them with either Pro-S or Pro-SD backs.

All the backs have a spot at the back to put the end of a film box in - so that is sort of like setting the ISO.

I must have at least one Pro back in the bag then. I thought all of mine were either Pro S or Pro SD. Time to inspect more closely...

analoguey

Shooter
Multi Format
I must have at least one Pro back in the bag then. I thought all of mine were either Pro S or Pro SD. Time to inspect more closely...

When the back's off the camera try pulling dark slide out. Pro s and sd have a lock, pro will slide right out.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

KennyMark

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks Analoguey. You just saved me from feeding nickels into the google.

Kenny

When the back's off the camera try pulling dark slide out. Pro s and sd have a lock, pro will slide right out.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

paul ron

Shooter
Medium Format
RBs are the only camera i repair. Btw not many actually need repairs unless they have been abused or forced when jammed. If your camera jams, it's most likely user error... DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! Stop n go over everything... You did something wrong.

Most cameras i see are for maintenance CLA.

Read the manual n enjoy those beautiful negatves.

û

flatulent1

Shooter
Multi Format
My most frustrating moment over the last ten years was when I realized what fancy dance steps I had to take to shoot an RB with a cable release. I still haven't got it figured out with any consistency, and now limit myself to shooting handheld. There are days when I want to pitch the whole kit into Lake Washington. I haven't done so because I'm always afraid some nit-wit will report me and I'll receive a ticket in the mail for fouling the natural habitat of the Great Western Banana Slug.

But I digress....

analoguey

Shooter
Multi Format
Just starting shooting with the cable release - needs a bit of figuring out, but dancing??

Sent from Tap-a-talk

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
Just starting shooting with the cable release - needs a bit of figuring out, but dancing??

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Yea I didn't get that either, what's hard about the RZ cable release? I have no trouble... But I only use one release I don't own the double cable thing-a-majig...

Steve Smith

Shooter
Medium Format
The double release is not necessary. Just press the normal body release then the cable release in the lens.

Steve.

analoguey

Shooter
Multi Format
The double release is not necessary. Just press the normal body release then the cable release in the lens.

Steve.

Was looking at the manual while using it, fairly detailed the manual is! The things took a bit of adjusting though, to my shooting style in terms of operation.

sent from tap-a-talk

Trail Images

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi everyone.
I am in the process of selling off a big portion of my polaroid and 35mm stuff so i can focus more on medium format.I am looking in to getting the Mamiya rb67 sd from KEH.com.I have done a good amount of research on the camera but for some reason can figure out how one would go about setting the asa on the camera.Maybe i am missing something but how does that work haha.Also on a side note.Do i have to have a paid subsciption to post in the for sale section?

The SD body is a sound unit, as are all of the RB units. I prefer the SD for the later features it has to offer, but not always necessary to have. The SD does have the slightly larger front opening, so, be sure to plan on using the lens collar or sleeve with the earlier lenses. All my lenses are the earlier version and work just fine with the adapter. KEH is a good source for the purchase too. Good luck with your selection overall. :smile:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom