Threads
Members
Latest member
FeS2
Recent bookmarks

Markok765

Shooter
Medium Format
I just bought a Pelican 1300 hard case for my Leica, and before I cut the foam I have a few questions.

1. I have a 15mm VF on my leica, which sticks up above the camera. I don't want to have to take the VF off each time, so I'm considering 2 options.

-Cut the foam deeper, so that the viewfinder has extra room, while putting the camera in bottom first.

-cut the foam more shallow, and have the camera go in lens first.

Which option would better protect the camera?

In addition, how much foam space do i need to leave between the camera and the hard part of the case, and how much do i need to leave between the lenses/cameras?

eddym

Shooter
Multi Format
If the vertical (lens-first) position of the camera means you can cut the foam shallower, I would do that. I don't know how big the case is in relation to your gear, but I'd allow at least an inch between everything, more if possible. Lay everything out on the foam first and then mark where you will need to cut.

OP
OP
Markok765

Markok765

Shooter
Medium Format
If the vertical (lens-first) position of the camera means you can cut the foam shallower, I would do that. I don't know how big the case is in relation to your gear, but I'd allow at least an inch between everything, more if possible. Lay everything out on the foam first and then mark where you will need to cut.

It's a really deep case, so even if i do it horizontal, there will be plenty of foam under it. I'd assume that having more foam around the camera would be better, or am I incorrect?

eddym

Shooter
Multi Format
Yup, the more foam around the camera the better. But then, Leicas are pretty rugged. I carry mine in Domke bags, or a small Halliburton case that is not the usual "suitcase" design, but more like a lady's cosmetic case. It has a Domke insert to hold the cameras and some random pieces of foam to hold the insert in place. I lost the original foam many years ago.
If inserting the camera horizontally leaves more room for lenses, etc., and the camera is still well separated from the case, then that should be fine.

OP
OP
Markok765

Markok765

Shooter
Medium Format
Yup, the more foam around the camera the better. But then, Leicas are pretty rugged. I carry mine in Domke bags, or a small Halliburton case that is not the usual "suitcase" design, but more like a lady's cosmetic case. It has a Domke insert to hold the cameras and some random pieces of foam to hold the insert in place. I lost the original foam many years ago.
If inserting the camera horizontally leaves more room for lenses, etc., and the camera is still well separated from the case, then that should be fine.

Sounds good! Yeah, Leicas are rugged, but this case is not for everyday walking around, rather it is for strapping to my bag and biking(which is my main mode of transport, where it would be subjected to rain, vibration, and the main reason why i need the case - just in case i crash the bike.

eddym

Shooter
Multi Format
Sounds good! Yeah, Leicas are rugged, but this case is not for everyday walking around, rather it is for strapping to my bag and biking(which is my main mode of transport, where it would be subjected to rain, vibration, and the main reason why i need the case - just in case i crash the bike.

Ride carefully! :smile: And don't forget to protect your head as well! :smile:
All seriousness aside, the Pelikan case should do a good job of protecting your camera.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom