Pyrocat-HD: which dilutions for constant agitation with little dev?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Usagi, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    I found answer for similar question already either from somewhere else at the Net or from this forums. But cannot found it any more, spend two hours using search :rolleyes:

I have adopted paterson orbital for developing sheet films. The main problem is that it maximum amount of developer for 4 sheet films is 200-300ml. With 300ml, you are always in risk to spill developer all around when orbital does it's rotary and tilting agitation pattern.

If I recall right, the minimum for one sheet film (4x5) 75ml Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100, so it is on the limits for four sheets.

What to do if I have to use less, say 200ml or 250ml for four sheets?

In the answer that I read S.King stated that in such cases the dilution 2:2:100 or 3:2:100 is good option. But do I remember correctly?

I guess that the more there is solution A compared to B, the less aggressive is the stain effect.

Is there any rules of thumb for that? Say, Adox CHS 100 is quite silver rich and stains easily, should I use then 3:2:100 instead of 2:2:100? Or do I have to run test series with both dilutions?

Or modern T-grain films which has less silver, am I right when guessing that then 2:2:100 would be good?

Thanks for helping,
    Jukka

2. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jukka,

You should be able to develop four sheets of 4X5 film with 250ml of the 1:1:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD. I may have stated somewhere a minimum of 75ml per sheet, but in fact in my own work I only use about 60ml per sheet, and all of my calculations for CI are based on this.

Sandy King

3. OP
    OP
    Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much Sandy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.