Put your thinking caps on please! Who made this B&W paper?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
photomancottrell
Recent bookmarks

FilmNerd

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi,
I just found this site and it looks great! I'm hoping someone remembers the company that made my favorite B&W paper back in the late '70's. It was not an RC paper and I remember I bought it by the box of 250 8x10 sheets. It was a dark blue box (I think) and I'm 99% sure it was made by a company in Yonkers, NY. I've googled and come up empty. I'm assuming they are now out of business, but my hope is that if someone remembers the company name, I may be able to find something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Dr Croubie

Shooter
Multi Format
Strange.
When I save my ebay-searches, my ipod-app decides to pick a picture at random from the list and use that next to the title of the saved search in the list. At the time I saved my search for 4x5 B+W film, one of the results was for a dark-blue box of very-expired film, and that is the picture next to my saved search.
Unfortunately, someone bought it and it no longer appears in the list (not even in the 'completed' list).

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
Boy. Dupont Defender. That's a long way back. The good old days when there were all kinds of neat photographic supplies.

OP
OP

FilmNerd

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't think is was Dupont as I would think that would have been something I'd remember. I wonder if I can find an ad for it in an old Popular Photography magazine.

Rich

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Maybe the DuPont reference was less visible on the package you had. There had not been that many photographic manufactures in that time.
Maybe it even was re-branded.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Might have been Luminos. They were the UK importer/distributor for Adox in the 1950's but seem to have moved to the US possibly when Dupont took over Adox. There was a severe economic crisis in the UK early 1960's which led to the closure of many photographic manufacturers. They then distributed Guillemot and later Kentmere papers in the US in blue boxes under their own Luminos brand name.

Early 70's their papers were made in West Germany, I'm not sure if it was Adox (Dupont) the Adox plant was moved to Croatia by 1972.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Dog

Shooter
Multi Format
Agfa used to have an orange packet with a blue triangle IIRC.

OP
OP

FilmNerd

Shooter
Multi Format
It might have been Luminos as it does look familiar. I'm hoping I can find an ad for it in one of my old Popular Photography magazines once I get them out of storage.

Rich

kreeger

Shooter
Multi Format
Luminos was a dark blue box, and Oriental Seagull in a medium blue box. I thought Freestyle Photo sold Luminos. Dupont papers, like Varigam or Varilour were in dark green boxes that I worked with.

OP
OP

FilmNerd

Shooter
Multi Format
It was Luminous! I found an ad for it in an old Popular Photography magazine.

Thanks everyone!

paul ron

Shooter
Medium Format
For some reason i remember Dupont paper in a green sleve or box.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom