Pushing Tri-X to 1600 in Rodinal - stand

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Poohblah, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guys, I have seen some very impressive examples on Flickr of Tri-X pushed to EI 1600 and beyond (25,600!) in Rodinal using the stand development method. I intentionally exposed 2 rolls of Tri-X @ EI 1600 with the idea of trying this method. I was wondering if any of you guys have done this and if you have any suggestions/warnings as far as time/temp/etc. are concerned. Thanks!

Thread that I got the idea from: http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal/discuss/72157608203774894/

2. ntenny

ntenny Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have anything to add (except that a similar approach turns out not to work so well with HC-110), but I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. There are a bunch of techniques for pushing Tri-X, of course, but the shot posted in that thread is really astonishing IMHO.

-NT

3. njungels

njungels Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen the same flickr post with respect to Rodinal. Though perhaps not quite as nice a picture, here is a link one of my flickr pictures of Tri-X exposed at EI3200.

This was developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 45 minutes agitating by 2 gentle inversions every 5 minutes.

I don't think that I've quite gotten the Tri-X at 3200 development "perfected." This picture was very difficult to print. The highlights were racing ahead of my shadow detail. There were a couple of shots on the roll that were easier to print; just a grade 2 at 16 seconds and bob's your uncle.

All this coupled with the face that I'm a very inexperienced printer makes me think that I've probably got a bit more tinkering to do.

4. OP
    OP
    Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Do you guys know how critical the initial agitation is when using stand dev. method?

5. ItsReallyDarren

ItsReallyDarren Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've pushed Tri-X to 3200 with Rodinal and Semi-stand developing. The negatives came out looking great, I can't speak on behalf of darkroom printing yet but it doesn't look like it would give me much trouble to print. I might need to cut back on some contrast but it seems manageable.

I used 1+125 dilution, gently agitated for the first minute by swirling the tank, and agitated every 30 minuets for 90 minuets. I use very gentle agitation for stand or semi stand developing, no inversions. Only swirling the tank like I would swirl a test tube or beaker, but slowly.

Here's two images from a roll I recently did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.